T273 Glow Plug Timer?

/ T273 Glow Plug Timer?
Just went through pretty much the same scenario with my 2007 TYM273 .... You're absolutely right they don't start in cold sub zero weather especially if all your glow plugs (3) are bad. I purchased mine in late 2012 with 240 hours on it. Fron the "get go" it was very difficult to start. I hired a tractor mechanic to take a look at it. He got it started but it took a spray if starter fluid to get it up ad running. He changed all the filters, oil, and installed a inline coolant circulator / heater. This helped greatly but still had problems starting on occasion. I ended up removing the glow plugs and testing them with a 12volt jump starter. Two out if the three glow plugs were bad. Ordered new plugs from Keno Tractor in Oregon (I think) from their web site. Three of them shipped was about $70.00. This year (For the last couple months) I have used the 273 for my snow removal needs (Maine winters) but the starting problem had returned. At first I thought it was the fuel gelling / did find some ice in my fuel filter. Changed filter, added Power service and 911. Still would start. Charged and couple times. Still no start so I purchased a new battery charger with a much higher jump start rating. Yep! Still no start. Pulled the air intake filters off and sprayed a small amount of starting fluid with upper chamber lubricant and it starts right up. Now I'm thinking maybe all it needs is to run for a while and maybe my problem is over? Nope! It started warm but once the engine cooled it would not start. This time I found the inline heater I had install a couple years earlier wasn't working. So for a month I resulted to pulling off the air filter and using starting fluid which was a pain in the butt also very uncomfortable using staring fluid with the glow plugs. I was beginning to think my fuel pump may of been the culprit but it ran great once it started. I haven't been on this forum for nearly two years so I came on searching for the glow plug number. From the search I found a thread that mentioned jump starting the engine with a charger higher than 12 volts could burn out the glow plugs .....! Went out and pulled my glow plugs and all three were dead. Must say I had could not find them anywhere based on the old mitsubishi glow plug number but a local Mahindra dealer (To his surprise) was able to cross reference it to a Mahindra glow plug .... 32A66-03102 but had to pay about $35.00 a piece for them. Turns out that price wasn't that bad from a internet search but Keno Tractor was the best price I could find at $30.00 each. The 273 is now starting beautifully ... I hope. 15 below last night so we'll see soon but it started great last night! :>)

Wow! Quite the epic saga. Glad things worked out. I'm still waiting on a glow plug timer before I can git er done. I'm also replacing the fuel priming pump, which should also help considerably. What worries me is now knowing why so many parts failed. I don't use a booster, but have certainly jumped the tractor from running car (battery). On the other hand, living in a rainforest there's a lot of moisture and it's clear corrosion played a big part in the failure of the plug time and probably both glow plugs. Priming pump is a different mystery as it's potted, but who knows. Things fail. . . . Hope to have her up and running within the week. Good thing too, need her to move a ton of wood from a walnut I had taken down last week!

Pete

/ T273 Glow Plug Timer?
Success!!

Received the glow plug timer in the mail. Big shout out to Jordan's Sales and Service (Suspicious Activity Detected). Ed was kind enough to walk me through some of the early electrical troubleshooting and has tons of TYM parts in stock (or can easily order them). If you need TYM parts or service, they're definitely worth giving a call.

Quick run down:
Replaced plug relay with NAPA equivalent ($19 at store) - though it's quite possible this part didn't need to be replaced. First thing I tried.
Replaced all three OEM glowplugs with Y114T glow plugs ($26.30 with shipping)
Replaced glow plug timer with OEM part ($33 with shipping).
Replaced 12V electric fuel pump with a similar (not identical) part I found on amazon ($24.99 with shipping).
So, all told I dropped $100, but I can tell you that if I had replaced everything with OEM parts I would have spent nearly $400. The pump alone would have been $140, and glowplugs were running $30+ a piece :eek:. it's just a reminder that it definitely pays to source your parts, and Amazon is king.

Voila! Started right up! I actually believe the fuel pump with the main culprit behind the hard starting, but having a working glowplug circuit won't hurt when it's cold out.

Very pleased!!
Pete

/ T273 Glow Plug Timer? #23  
Pete,
I'm glad you got things working again and that Jordan's was able to help you. Jordan's is my local dealer and has always been there with answers to my many questions. I have tried to recommend them on this site to people needing parts as they have a decent supply and should be able get anything they don't have from TYM in North Carolina.

/ T273 Glow Plug Timer?
Thanks joeyd. I'd definitely recommend Jordan's. I'm actually waiting on a part they ordered for me from NC - broken fuel pump bracket actually (3rd one!). They can't direct ship from NC to my house, but they were more than happy to get the part and then ship. Good peeps.

/ T273 Glow Plug Timer? #25  
How long do your glow plugs stay lit for?

/ T273 Glow Plug Timer? #27  
Thanks

/ T273 Glow Plug Timer? #28  
She's dead Jim. . .
View attachment 413202

Removed the cover. . . well more accurately destroyed the cover. I took a picture of the components on an old school bread board and it's pretty obvious that the timer is dead. Measured several resistors that are now open, and at least one cap that's bad too. Even if I was able to replace the components, which I'm not since they're embedded in epoxy, it'd probably cost me more in parts than the replacement at $40. The crappy thing is the part is designed to be sealed, but yet there is a pretty large hole near the blade connector. Oregon moisture (or mouse pee) clearly got inside and corroded the parts.

Bummer. . .
P
What part number did you use to get this. Mine has died as well. Thanks

/ T273 Glow Plug Timer? #29  
I have a question for you on my tym 273 tractor when I touch the positive ground to the battery I'm getting a little spark

/ T273 Glow Plug Timer? #30  
Kenb1023, did you ever find the controller? Mine is also shot (TYM T353 HST). It is too late for me to check the local dealer for stock but doing a little digging, I found that this is not a custom part for TYM. It is made by JHK electronics and both Mahindra and Kubota have glow timers with 16626692100, made by JHK. There are a lot of photos of those on the Internet, all matching our control timer, but again, it is too late to call the local dealers. I will check will all of them tomorrow. I can buy it online $69, but that seems pretty high and I do not want to wait. I want to get this project finished.