T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not

/ T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not #1  

kfriis

Tractor
none yet
Hi -

Trying to decide between the TYM T494 or T574 (shuttle shift). As far as I can tell, the ONLY difference is the engine. Both have the same Kukje basic engine. The T574 has a turbo which increases engine HP from 47 to 55.

No other differences. Should be easy right?

The price difference is only around $1000 or so.

I am aware that certain people have negative opinions of turbos. But is that really based on facts or is it a little bit of a myth?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

/ T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not #2  
It will be up to personal taste on what added complications it adds to your equations. A N/A low tech engine like the Kukje A2300N2 will last you a lifetime for sure.

/ T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not #3  
The turbos engins of today are good engines and turbos but my only gripe is after working a turbo engine hard the turbo should be cooled down before shutdown if not the oil in the turbo could coke or turn into ash and damage the turbo bearings. I now have a turbo engine and my son built me a 3 minute timer that i mash a spring loaded switch and turn the engine key to off position and it will idle for 3 min then shut off . I like the Kukje engine also because it is not computer controled and no turbo and to me that is a good thing.

/ T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not #4  
You should do that with an N/A engine anyways to drop coolant temps on the heads. Heat creeps up and without water flow things could get messy with prolonged use. So its sort of the same anyways.

/ T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not #5  
Any more thoughts on this? This is where I am here at this same point: either the T494 (NA) or T574 (Turbo) with cab and hydrostatic.

Last edited:
   / T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not #6  
I am looking at the same two tractors, Cant seem to get a definite price , No one seems to have one anyway, I would go for the 547 turbo .

/ T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not #7  
I have had the 494 since August of 2019, it is serial #65. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I looked at he turbo, but was leery of it. The dealer talked me out of it. I have enough power and it is an amazing machine for the money.

/ T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not #8  
I would always go with a non turbo or slightly larger naturally aspirated engine. Never once have I thought to myself with a non turbo, diesel, Gee, I wish I had a Turbo. So why? Why the expense, complication and opening oneself up to possible problems and expense?

I have two turbos, one in my GMC and one in my JD 6200. Neither has given me trouble . . . yet.

/ T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not #9  
I have the N/A A2300 in my Branson 4820R. Same engine as the T494. I would not have minded a little more PTO hp, but the 4820R was available and the 5520R (same engine as the T574) was not in stock. I have enough for a 6' MD rotary cutter. It seems like a solid engine. I do not think adding a turbo to a simple diesel would make it any less reliable. I had a 03 VW Jetta TDI that I sold with 260k miles that never had any engine issues.

/ T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not #10  
The turbos engins of today are good engines and turbos but my only gripe is after working a turbo engine hard the turbo should be cooled down before shutdown if not the oil in the turbo could coke or turn into ash and damage the turbo bearings. I now have a turbo engine and my son built me a 3 minute timer that i mash a spring loaded switch and turn the engine key to off position and it will idle for 3 min then shut off . I like the Kukje engine also because it is not computer controled and no turbo and to me that is a good thing.
Absolutely true. ALWAYS allow a turbo engine to idle a few minutes after running it hard, tractor or automobile. Oil needs to be cooled by flowing water in engine so residual oil in turbo is cooled to minimize coking. A 3 - 5 minute timer is ideal to keep engine running at idle after key turned off. Otherwise, just let tractor idle at least that long before shutting off. Good practice on NA engines too, but especially on Turbo engines. I did this on Ford truck diesel 6.0 engine. Some timers for turbo trucks run the engine however long it takes for coolant to drop below a preset temperature.