T5/7/9 Trailer Loading Techniques

/ T5/7/9 Trailer Loading Techniques #1  

Argonne

Gold Member
Tractor
JD2210, Ford 4400, Case IH 685, Terramite T7, JD 6x4 M-Gator
My 20 foot equipment trailer has fairly steep ramps, and loading my T7 is more exciting than I would like due to it's tail heavy weight distribution. I typically put a few hundred lbs in the end-loader and drive on forward, but I've also considered pivoting the hoe 90 deg to pull the tail end weight closer to the machine. Backing on makes sense too, but I haven't tried it yet.

What do you guys do?

/ T5/7/9 Trailer Loading Techniques #2  
Hi I think putting the hoe at a 90 deg would be worse. I load machines at work on ramps so I'm use to it. I have a tilt deck 22foot and a ramp trailer also, A tilt deck is the best way to load. Did you try backing it on ? might feel safer .

/ T5/7/9 Trailer Loading Techniques
Did you try backing it on ? might feel safer .

Yea, I should probably just back on. The reason I haven't is that I think it will be harder to get the trailer weight distribution right. Once I put the hoe bucket on the deck in front, the rest of the machine will be at or behind the axles. I'll try it, maybe I'm wrong, I've only eyeballed it.

The Terramite isn't the worst thing I have to load, the 6x4 Gator is. It does a wheelstand (zero steering) for several feet once the front end gets over the trailer bed. The wheelstand ends with a big BOOM once the front rear axle clears the ramp.

The tractors are all easy.

/ T5/7/9 Trailer Loading Techniques #4  
I would look at a tilt deck or a beaver tail with the mega ramp:)

/ T5/7/9 Trailer Loading Techniques #5  
I have a 22ft trailer and have always backed mine on. It is much safer.

/ T5/7/9 Trailer Loading Techniques #6  
I have a 22ft trailer and have always backed mine on. It is much safer.

My 16' was just too long for the T5C, so I cut it down to 13' and like it much better. Putting a couple blocks under the ends of the
ramps to raise them 4" can make a big difference in the steepness. I bought a piece of expanded metal mesh at Home Depot
and fastened it on the ramp surfaces. Helps a lot in wet weather, mud, or clambering up over 4" blocks to adjust the slope.