Ta Da! Steering wheel is off!

/ Ta Da! Steering wheel is off! #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
What worked: 3 or 4 days of applying PB Blaster, then cutting slots in a couple very large washers, one larger than the other, stacking them under the wheel, putting tension on them with my gear puller, then hitting the spokes from below with the dead blow hammer.

What didn't work:
Liquid wrench, automatic transmission fluid (which was recommended on another site).
Wedging a bar under the wheel and hitting the bar with my rivet gun as close to the hub as possible.
Using a gear puller pulling on a smaller washer under the wheel hub.
Hitting the end of the shaft with a dead blow hammer or rivet gun while pulling on the wheel.
Colorful words (usually works).
Hitting the end of the gear puller while it is under tension.
Whacking the under side of the spokes without the gear puller providing tension.

/ Ta Da! Steering wheel is off!
What worked: 3 or 4 days of applying PB Blaster, then cutting slots in a couple very large washers, one larger than the other, stacking them under the wheel, putting tension on them with my gear puller, then hitting the spokes from below with the dead blow hammer.

What didn't work:
Liquid wrench, automatic transmission fluid (which was recommended on another site).
Wedging a bar under the wheel and hitting the bar with my rivet gun as close to the hub as possible.
Using a gear puller pulling on a smaller washer under the wheel hub.
Hitting the end of the shaft with a dead blow hammer or rivet gun while pulling on the wheel.
Colorful words (usually works).
Hitting the end of the gear puller while it is under tension.
Whacking the under side of the spokes without the gear puller providing tension.

/ Ta Da! Steering wheel is off! #3  
Alright, success!

Now what? A new wheel, or can you save that one?

How bout a pic when you get the dash redone (the reason you took it off, right?)

/ Ta Da! Steering wheel is off! #4  
Alright, success!

Now what? A new wheel, or can you save that one?

How bout a pic when you get the dash redone (the reason you took it off, right?)

/ Ta Da! Steering wheel is off! #5  
Great! Thanks for the update and glad you got it off without too much destruction.

/ Ta Da! Steering wheel is off! #6  
Great! Thanks for the update and glad you got it off without too much destruction.