Tail-gate switch

/ Tail-gate switch #1  

tree grower

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1210, Bobcat 742B, John Deere 1050
The tailgate on my 30 yr old F350 dump truck is difficult / awkward to open when the body is raised. So far I have attached a length of chain to the handle that I can reach through the window when the body is up, but it is still awkward. 'Real' dump trucks have an air gate, and it seems I could create a similar function with an electric solenoid or a hydraulic cylinder about the size of a flashlight. Hydraulics are PTO powered. Any thoughts ?

/ Tail-gate switch #2  
I only ever unlatch the gate when the bed is still down. You could use an electric actuator but that would be a lot of work running cables where it won't get damaged, relays, fuses and stuff. If the truck had air, that might be easier.

/ Tail-gate switch #3  
Even on my “real” dump truck with air actuated locks I would rarely have occasion to unlatch in a raised position.

If your F350 has air bag suspension you could use an air cylinder.

/ Tail-gate switch #4  
I always dump my one ton truck with the tailgate flat not up and open at the bottom like bigger trucks. When I dump my bigger truck I unlatch it before I raise the bed. It’s still a little hard to do but not worth rigging up alternative solutions. I’d like it to be loose enough to do with my left arm from inside the cab but it’s not. I have to step out and use both arms.

/ Tail-gate switch
This summer I had occasion to spread several loads of crushed rock in wet spots in a road. Even with the chains pulled their tightest, the open tailgate still allowed too much flow of materials, so I needed to follow up with a fair amount of loader time to distribute the stone. If I could have had the bed up to ~20+ degrees and the truck well under way before tripping the gate, I would have had a better spread. Sounds like I need to modify the chain connections rather than work on the gate lock.

/ Tail-gate switch #6  
Use a brake chamber and air is the easiest and cheapest. You have to be sure that it's not just the air holding it shut is one thing to watch out for. You need an over center locking mechanism so it's impossible for the gate to come open if you should lose your air, not hard to do actually.............Mike

/ Tail-gate switch #7  
My 1 ton truck doesn’t spread good either. It wouldn’t be hard to modify the gate to work a lot better. That would be way easier than converting the latch and probably still not working right.

/ Tail-gate switch #8  
This summer I had occasion to spread several loads of crushed rock in wet spots in a road. Even with the chains pulled their tightest, the open tailgate still allowed too much flow of materials, so I needed to follow up with a fair amount of loader time to distribute the stone. If I could have had the bed up to ~20+ degrees and the truck well under way before tripping the gate, I would have had a better spread. Sounds like I need to modify the chain connections rather than work on the gate lock.

You will laugh but this is how I do a tail gate gravel/rock spread with my one ton. Like you do, I tighten the opening limit chains. Then I take a length of webbing, an old 10' dog leash actually, and tie it to the top of the tail gate lever and pass the free end thru the window where I can grab it in the drivers seat. With the tail gate latched and truck stationary I raise the bed as high as I can w/o gravel spilling over the top of the tail gate. I reach out the window and grab the leash as high up as I can so there is room for plenty of downward arm swing. I then get going forward towards the target area at a pre-calculated steady speed from experience that controls the material depth. When the dump area is reached I pull down the lever via the dog leash and then immediately activate the switch to raise the bed to it's max as the load spreads behind me. My dump is electric over hydraulic so I have to hold a switch beside the seat. The method works like a charm for me. Some times I dump 10 loads in succession and I have done it enough that once in a while I don't even need to get the tractor out.

gg

Last edited:
   / Tail-gate switch #9  
I recommend leaving factory gate latch as it is and add a redundant secoundary latch. You need the strength and reliability of factory latch while load is in transit and only deal with second latch while dumping. If second latch ever fails at least it won't happen where it might result in lose of life and property. The idea is to unlatch gate as usual leaving second latch holding gate closed until released by switch in cab.

/ Tail-gate switch #10  
I recommend leaving factory gate latch as it is and add a redundant secoundary latch. You need the strength and reliability of factory latch while load is in transit and only deal with second latch while dumping. If second latch ever fails at least it won't happen where it might result in lose of life and property. The idea is to unlatch gate as usual leaving second latch holding gate closed until released by switch in cab.

Do you understand how a dump truck tailgate latch works?