Tailgate nets

/ Tailgate nets #1  

DFB

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 HST /410 FEL, R4s
Is there any good ones? Can actually be depended on? Be secure in knowing a light load wont fall out?

They bought one today from a chain auto parts store its total piece of junk. Plastic clips that slip the strap with the slightest pressure. Wont last me the weekend I figure and I'm actually afraid to do my 50 mile drive with it holding secure a truck bed full of plants!

My boss will not get rid of his old 3/4 ton Chevy but there is nothing left to secure what is left of the tailgate. Pop the latch and let it drop it will fall off. Hinge pin is completely gone on one side just the cable retains it when its open. The latch and upper lock points are all that secures it nothing is left at the bottom. I'm afraid I will lose it on the road someday.

I thought these nets were actually something useful :confused:

/ Tailgate nets #3  
Those nets are for fuel mileage from what I gather. I think you actually have to find a decent one made of webbing from a 4x4 store instead of the cheap plastic ones. Don't forget, most of your load will be trying to slide forward and not backward. It's alot easier to slam on the brakes than do a break neck acceleration. I always found a 2x8 across the bed worked well for keeping heavy things in place.

/ Tailgate nets #4  
They are for looking at not using.

/ Tailgate nets #5  
Don't know why anybody would want one unless you don't have a tailgate. Mythbusters did a great episode on it and it was real easy to see how the air trapped in the truck bed spins to create it's own air pocket that allows the truck to have better air flow over it. It works just like having a shell on the back of your truck. Removing the tail gate created unstable air in the bed of the truck and it destroys the smooth air flow over it, which makes the truck have to work harder to go through the air, or use more fuel.

Eddie

/ Tailgate nets #6  
Don't know why anybody would want one unless you don't have a tailgate. Mythbusters did a great episode on it and it was real easy to see how the air trapped in the truck bed spins to create it's own air pocket that allows the truck to have better air flow over it. It works just like having a shell on the back of your truck. Removing the tail gate created unstable air in the bed of the truck and it destroys the smooth air flow over it, which makes the truck have to work harder to go through the air, or use more fuel.

Eddie

I happened to see that episode and was going to write the same. The main point was Eddie's first line.

/ Tailgate nets #7  

Eddie

Didn't they show that the nets increased efficiency though over not having a tailgate?

/ Tailgate nets
We also have a cap on the truck. Transporting fragile plants an open bed for 50 miles just ain't gonna do it! I climb steep twisting mountain roads so roll out is factor that does concern me.

I Gorilla duct taped the threaded ends back to the net for piece of mind and one of the lock down clips was open when arrived :D

Still it worked but I need something that secures better than this one

I haven't had anytime to search any out

/ Tailgate nets #10  
Heavy duty hinges, self tapping screws, couple of padlock hasps, 3/4" plywood = redneck tailgate.