Tankless ele. water heater.

/ Tankless ele. water heater. #1  

Charolais

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deutz Fahr Agrofarm 100, Stoll loader, bucket, forks & root grapple
Hope I'm posting this in the right place. If not y'all excuuuuuse me. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My regular 40 gal. ele. hot water tank has a little drip leak now. That happens about every 7 years or so. Soooo it's time to replace it. Been looking at the tankless ele. water heaters and just wondering if any of you good folks have them.

Comments or - are welcome. And thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Tankless ele. water heater. #3  
Charolais,

IMHO, tankless water heaters are nothing short of great. When we were living abroad, we had one unit (gas fired) which would heat our faucet and shower water on demand, and it had a separate circuit to heat the water for our radiators. We never ran out of hot water, and we were always warm in the Winter. With European energy costs far exceeding ours, they have to use efficient systems, and tankless is the standard, at least in Italy and France. The Europeans have long been way ahead of us on design and efficiency, but now we can get the same high efficiency here. All the units which I have used have been gas fired (natural or propane), but I understand that the electric ones are 99% efficient. We will be installing a gas fired tankless unit in the home we are planning now.

Here's a thread wich you may find helpful:
Tankless Water Heaters

I think you are definitely looking in the right direction...

/ Tankless ele. water heater. #4  
Hey Charolais,
How many calves do you have to pull or lose each year with those big Charolais cows ?

/ Tankless ele. water heater.
I rarely pull any calves. In the last 5 years I've pulled 3 and calve 40 per year. Those were where a leg just wasn't in the right position on heifers. Lots of Charolais bulls used here for cross breeding. We've got that calf size down a lot in the last 10 years in my area. I use Charolais bulls with bw rating up to 2. Calves weigh 60 pounds on the low side and about 68 on the high. We now have a Charolais buyer at our sale barn. We're right up there with the other breeds now.

And thank you for the links on the tankless heaters to the other posters. Think I'm gonna order one today.

/ Tankless ele. water heater. #6  
I haven't used one in the States but I had an electric one installed in my parent's little retirement house in the U.K about 15 years ago. It worked great and as far as I know is still working although they have both passed on. The initial installation cost was high and there were so many inspections to be carried out during the installation (that's the UK for you) but it made a huge difference in their monthly utility bills. I think my father told me that it had a payback period of between 4 and 5 years at that time. Obviously costs have changed a lot since then but the economic justification must still be the same.

/ Tankless ele. water heater. #7  
It sounds like you have a nice herd of Charolais and have a handle on the calving issues. Good to hear you have the calving weights down in a safe range. Post some pictures of your operation sometime.

Take care
Rough Cut

/ Tankless ele. water heater.
roughcut, there's been a lot of hard work and dedication placed in the Charolais breed from Va. on south. It's starting to pay off now. Many parts of the country just wrote the breed off for calving problems. The Va. Charolais Association has made a difference and I commend them for it. I started out Hereford and then went with Black Angus. Bred those Black cows to those Charolais bulls until I'm at 70% full blood Charolais now. Those white cows will be grazing while the black ones are under a tree in this hot sunshine in southern Va. What I have now are a lot calmer and gentler than the B. angus I had. Getting older and need good calm cattle when working them and such. Got good birth weights, good milk and good growth with them now. I sold my first bull last year and my first 4 heifers this past spring all for replacements and breeding. Herd improvement is a never ending task. It's also fun for me. I get a great enjoyment from the challenge.

Now I haven't been on board here but a few weeks. I'll have to learn how to post pictures here. Always like to show my cows off. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back to the tankless hot water heater. I just ordered one. Sooo as soon as it arrives I'll get to work installing it. Thank you all for the links and answers on the subject. roughcut thanks for asking about the cows too. Don't get me started talking about cows. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I don't know when to stop. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Do you raise cattle too?

/ Tankless ele. water heater. #10  
At work, or office trailers have hot water on demand via individual electric units under each sink. Small units ..smaller than a cerial box. They put out hothothot water. So much so that it is hard to figure out at the tap just feeling the water waiting for the warm to get their like on a regular tap that takes a few seconds.. this stuff is hot in a second.

Never does run out. I've had hot water runing for 10 minutes plus, cleaning stuff. I'm not sure if it is as efficient as an electric hot water heater or not.

Soundguy