Taxable/Assessed Value Appeals

/ Taxable/Assessed Value Appeals #1  

Parkanzky

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2032R
We got our new assessment from the township and they've made a big increase to our assessed and taxable values. We just purchased this home in August, so I expected a new assessment, but I didn't expect it to be for considerably more than we paid for the house.

Has anyone done an assessment appeal before? I'm working on the L-4035 appeal form. I understand that assessed values don't necessarily follow sales prices and I've started a short list of comparable sales to help make my case.

Anybody have any wisdom/experience they can share? I'll take any advice I can get.

What a pain!

/ Taxable/Assessed Value Appeals #2  
Make sure the square footage is not only correct in area, but also in type. I appealed in the same situation (1st assessment after purchase) because they had ~700 - 800 sq. ft. of space above the garage listed/assessed as living space when in actuality it was unfinished, unheated storage space.

/ Taxable/Assessed Value Appeals
Make sure the square footage is not only correct in area, but also in type. I appealed in the same situation (1st assessment after purchase) because they had ~700 - 800 sq. ft. of space above the garage listed/assessed as living space when in actuality it was unfinished, unheated storage space.

The township page actually lists our home at considerably less square footage than we have (They list the main floor square footage, but we have a finished basement). But even if I go off of the right number, houses with our acreage and square footage haven't been selling for as much as they say ours is worth.

Of course, they say over and over that the assessed value doesn't follow sales prices. They also say to bring comps. I'm concerned that I'll take comps and they'll say, "Yes, but the assessed values don't follow sales prices..."

/ Taxable/Assessed Value Appeals #4  
I got ours reduced by 32k, but don't go in unprepared.. I paid outa pocket for a licensed appraisal, who will review like houses in similar neighborhoods, and give you a formal report, compassion data and pictures. Also review online and download from governmental agency's, pertaining to the neighborhood, income, schools, emergency services and so on.

It just so happened when the county reassessed it was during the bank real estate loan fraud years. Prices where being pushed by offering loans that didn't qualify, which drove the tax increases. My state was in the top 5 according to the FBI website... A government agency.. Which I was sure to address the board too.

Research, document, and study, then formulate your speech based on those facts. you should be presented with a chance to plead you case, factual information not open to interpretation typically works best..

My Appraisal cost 300.00 on vacant land... Assessed at 92k...

/ Taxable/Assessed Value Appeals #5  
Went through the same situation here in '10. The house had been for sale for almost two years, starting at a price more than twice what I eventually ended up paying in a short sale. I was able to go out on the 'net and make copies of the old real estate listings to document the price decline during the sale years, and like you, pull together a list of actual sale prices (not listing prices) for homes of comparable floor space and lot size. Then I listed all the work needed to finish the place (it was relatively new construction but the owner went into default before floors, paint, landscaping, and a host of other work had been completed). All of that was supplied to the person I was working with at the assessor's office, who had told me he had to justify his assessment with factual data, not by just picking a number out of the air. I found out that ultimately if I didn't agree with the new assessment I could appeal to the county board of supervisors directly, and when I questioned the assessor about that his attitude softened somewhat. He admitted he was afraid of making trouble for the board if we couldn't come to an agreement, and I indicated that based on the info I'd supplied, the only justifiable agreement was the price that the market had set for the sale. After all, I was the only buyer at the end of the day, right? I think it was important that during all of my interactions I remained professional and level headed, even as I pointed out how ridiculous some of his "justifications" seemed. It took about six months, but I was able to get the assessed value down to the sale price.

Good luck with your appeal. This is a good time to be working on it because the sales that have happened in the last quarter or so have been during a traditionally slow time in the real estate market and that should help your case.

/ Taxable/Assessed Value Appeals #6  
I just did assessment appeal and WON. First I got from the county a listing of all the reassessments for the county. I had no problem getting it, but you may have to FOIA it. I then looked at all the properties around me to see if I was being treated fairly. I was not being treated fairly because my 2 of lots were classified differently, then those around me.

In one case apples to apples lots on one side of the 6 inch creek it was 4,000/acre and the other side was 5,000/acre.

I scheduled an appointment for late afternoon, figure they would be little tired by then and be willing to give in a little easier. I started the discussion, this to me was key, as I did not want them to put a stake in the ground as to how they arrived at the reassessment then be unwilling to admit they made a mistake.

I laid out my case showing that what the other properties were being reassessed at and just asked that I be tired fairly. The guy said I had done my homework and laid it out clearly. There was no discussion on his part other than to say he would lower the assessment.

Do NOT let them bully you, which they will do and in some cases threaten you. Be ready to get the Commissioner of Revenue involved if needed and know ahead of time his/her name. Also ask if you can record the session.

/ Taxable/Assessed Value Appeals #7  
Went through similar situation, lost. Property is zoned agricultural and farm land prices went up. Just got rid of two tarp storage buildings and added a pole building, haven't even finished it and they where already out here, trying to reassess. I'll call them back out while the floor is gravel, and before I pour the floor. Sometimes I think the neighbors are ratting me out. Is not like i can disguise the concrete truck, don't have to let them in the building after i pour the concrete, however they'll just raise it until i do let them in. You know the old saying can't fight city hall?

/ Taxable/Assessed Value Appeals #8  
One time I went to the appeal board in Dallas, and LOST. We sold the house for 22% less than the appraisal. But in Denton, we can go talk to one of the appraisers and see if we can reach an agreement, then if not, go to the appeal board. Twice when they increased our appraisal, I went and met with one of the appraisers and we quickly agreed on an amount.

/ Taxable/Assessed Value Appeals #9  
I got a little knocked off once. Their comps were for larger/newer/closer to the city houses, not as rural as mine. our assessment info is all online, so I sent them their assessments on houses near me that were better comps.

/ Taxable/Assessed Value Appeals #10  
We are in cottage country and evaluator has no access to interior.
Evaluator measures and assumes that you have a full basement just because there is a window and drawn shades, while in fact ceiling is 6'2" and only 1/3 of the area the rest being mere crawl space.
He lowered my valuation considerably.

Another time they measured a log cabin using the overall lengths which were notched at the corners.
That resulted in the dimensions being 2 ft longer and wider.

Yes, you can sometimes win.