TBN Firefighters

/ TBN Firefighters #11  
I'm not a fire fighter,But my son is. I got him into an explorer program at the local F.D when he was 16 & still in high school.He would ride with them every weekend & do what ever they asked him to do. When he graduated high school they hired him & trained him as a dispatcher. While he worked as a dispatcher, they sent him to Paramedic school (College). When he finished Paramedic school . They sent him to State Fire College to get certified as a F.F. When he graduated Fire College. They hired him. They paid for all his college.

/ TBN Firefighters #12  
farmboy12, first off I don't believe you know me, so let me introduce myself. My name is also Kyle and I'm 16 years old. I'm currently waiting for my application to be processed for my local fire company. I'm also going to join as a junior firefighter. So far for me it has been pretty simple to apply. I had to get a criminal background check and I filled out and mailed in a application. Unfortunately, it has not been very easy to make contact with the department I'm applying with to find out information. Fortunately, I have a friend who is on the department, so he has helped me out a lot. What has also helped me a lot is the firefighting sites I'm a member of. I strongly suggest that you join firefighternation.com. Great site and friendly people. Let me know if you do, so I can look you up. :)...Wow...The department your looking at looks very well equipped. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Kyle

/ TBN Firefighters
Thanks guys, I appreciate all this feedback I'm getting.

Kyle

/ TBN Firefighters #15  
Have been a Volunteer since 1991 (graduated high school). My dad help start the department in 1984. Began running calls "full time" in 1996 when I graduated college. I have worked my way through the ranks and am now Deputy Chief.

I agree with what others said. Show up, be early, don't just stand around and B.S. Listen to what the "older" firefighters have to say. Don't be afraid to grab a broom or take out the garbage.

In Alabama you have to be 18 to be a volunteer firefighter. Our insurance company requires you to be 21 to drive a truck.

Remember that everything that happens on a call (fire, wreck, or medical) is confidential. We fall under HIPPA just like the hospitals do.

Chris

/ TBN Firefighters #16  
...Listen to what the "older" firefighters have to say...

That's another one I read recently, "The best thing an old firefighter can teach a young firefighter is how to become an old firefighter."

/ TBN Firefighters #17  
Dang, those are nicer stations and apparatus than most in my district! Ours is a mixed paid and Vol district. Salary takes a lot of money, but in our area it is too big to go back to all volunteer...

Anyway, this is where I got the information that made me assume that I could be an actual volunteer at 16. And if your curious, this is one of my options, and the one I am interested in most is Fire 3. WVFD -- Recruitment I will find out more on the age and report back as soon as I know. Thanks again!

Kyle

/ TBN Firefighters #18  
It is harder when Stations are not staffed all the time, to make contact. My station is 24/7 staffed with a first out engine and medic, and then al of us volunteers.

I work in high-tech; I will say, for day to day stuff, many districts move at snails pace in comparison. Not a bad thing, just a totally different business. On the fire ground though, it is all business and full priority.

I'm currently waiting for my application to be processed for my local fire company. I'm also going to join as a junior firefighter. So far for me it has been pretty simple to apply. I had to get a criminal background check and I filled out and mailed in a application. Unfortunately, it has not been very easy to make contact with the department I'm applying with to find out information.

/ TBN Firefighters #19  
farmboy12 said:
How many people on here are volunteer or career firefighters? I'll be 16 in November and plan to join a local VFD. Anybody have any good advice on how to go about it or things to look out for in a department? I've had a job for the company for years, and paychecks and hours the last few years, so I can report and stay up responsibly. I don't plan on making a career out of it locally but think the qualifications and experience will help me when I apply for the Marines in a few years. I've even considered being a marine firefighter. So yeah, sorry for rambling, really just want tips or advice on what to look for and how to go about finding the best VFD for me. Thanks!

Kyle

Wow! A 16 year old willing to volunteer his time and put his life on the line to serve his community. Gives me hope that there really are good people left in this world. Hats off to you, farmboy12. :highfive:!

/ TBN Firefighters #20  
Thank you guys for everything you've said, I'm very inspired and have respect for all of you guys, especially those firefighters on here. I will take heed of all this. Hopefully Sunday I can go visit a couple of local stations that I'm particularly interested in. I have a recruiters number in my phone, but I will probably just call him to set a time to meet up at the station. I'm not much for phone usage, rather be in person. Rarely call and even rarer do I text.

Anyway, this is where I got the information that made me assume that I could be an actual volunteer at 16. And if your curious, this is one of my options, and the one I am interested in most is Fire 3. WVFD -- Recruitment I will find out more on the age and report back as soon as I know. Thanks again!

Kyle

By Joining the Waldorf station, you will for sure be exposed to literally all there is to experience in firefighting. If your serious about FF Waldorf is the place to get the experience. At one time they were and still may be the busiest volunteer station on the East Coast. Good luck on whatever you decide to do. Good advice has been given so far. I did it for over 10 years then a new career didn't leave me much time to volunteer. You will be required to get certified in basic firefighting and probably some basic first responder skills. I'm sure some rules and regs have changed on what certifications are required since the 1990's when I was a FF