TC 48 won't crank/start

/ TC 48 won't crank/start #1  

sksmsllc

Silver Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TC48DA 4x4
For the past year I've had to hold down the PTO lever while I turned the key to start. It became more and more difficult to engage/crank the motor until Sunday it just would not start. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

/ TC 48 won't crank/start #2  
For the past year I've had to hold down the PTO lever while I turned the key to start. It became more and more difficult to engage/crank the motor until Sunday it just would not start. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There is propbably a safety interlock that doesn't allow the starter to be engaged if the pto is connected. If there is a way to adjust the switch that's probably all it needs.

/ TC 48 won't crank/start #3  
The attached parts diagram from messicks.com (thanks Messicks:thumbsup:) shows your PTO engagement lever and switch. I've circled the switch (item 31) in green and an arrow points to where it is mounted. Also in a green circle is a bolt/nut that goes through your PTO lever (11A & 11B). That bolt is adjustable and you should be able to adjust it to operate your PTO sensing switch. My guess is that the switch is pressed when the PTO is Off and released when the PTO is On, but I can't be sure without a schematic. Look in this area and you'll find your problem. It could also be that your lever is bent and it is not fully engaging, but that should also have an effect on PTO operation, so I don't think that is the case.

Attachments

• TC48PTO.jpg
    TC48PTO.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 940
   / TC 48 won't crank/start
jinman said:
The attached parts diagram from messicks.com (thanks Messicks:thumbsup:) shows your PTO engagement lever and switch. I've circled the switch (item 31) in green and an arrow points to where it is mounted. Also in a green circle is a bolt/nut that goes through your PTO lever (11A & 11B). That bolt is adjustable and you should be able to adjust it to operate your PTO sensing switch. My guess is that the switch is pressed when the PTO is Off and released when the PTO is On, but I can't be sure without a schematic. Look in this area and you'll find your problem. It could also be that your lever is bent and it is not fully engaging, but that should also have an effect on PTO operation, so I don't think that is the case.

Thank you Jim! You were correct! I'm up and running.