Buying Advice TC18 1999 How many hours are too many?

/ TC18 1999 How many hours are too many? #1  

Spanky100

Silver Member
NE Texas, NE Tennessee, and SE MI and SW OH
Tractor
Current Kioti CK27HST and Cub Cadet 1810. Previous NH1510 Hydro, AC D14, Oliver 1355?, and JD 314 Lawn Tractor
Looking for a used smaller CUT to use for finish mowing, light bush hogging, and FEL work. Estimate about 60 hours use per year.

Found a 1999 TC18 4wd hydro, FEL, 60 inch mid mower, 48 inch bush hog, and box blade with just over1900 hours. Starts good and everything works as it should. No leaks when warmed up. Machine has been used for mowing and landscaping.

Question. How many hours can these machines last before the expensive repairs start? When should one expect to start having issues with TC18s and are the repair parts hard to get and expensive?

Thanks

/ TC18 1999 How many hours are too many? #2  
1900 hours would not concern me as long as the tractor appears to have been well taken care of and stored inside...especially since you are only going to be using it for 60 hours per year. First though I would look at the price. If it is reasonable/low I would go with it.

Look at the fluids etc.and try to get some sort of maintence history.

/ TC18 1999 How many hours are too many? #3  
Spanky, I believe the TC18D is the smallest SCUT that NH has ever sold. The 1999 model is very nearly the first of that model's production. They seem to be very capable little tractors. I don't think the hours are excessive on your tractor. It should easily do 5,000 hours if maintained well. As far as repair, any New Holland dealer will have full parts and service support for that tractor for many years to come. The tractor is made by Shibaura in Japan to NH specs and assembled in the USA. Your tractor with loader sold new for around $11,800 to $12,500 with the loader. The retail value now with all the attachments you listed is around $8,000 to $8,500. Because of the higher hours, I'd offer around $7,000 or less and see what the seller says. You didn't mention what the asking price is, so I'm just putting this info here to help with your negotiations. If the seller is offering the tractor at a much lower price than I've listed, then you are getting a good deal if the tractor works well and seems solid.

/ TC18 1999 How many hours are too many? #4  
i agree.. 1900hrs should be getting into 'half life' of a small well meantained diesel.

I was this close 'holding fingers together' to getting a tc18 back in 99, when ia used 1920 came along and changed my mind.

cute lil machines.. kinda reminds me of a stripped down 1630.. :)

soundguy

/ TC18 1999 How many hours are too many?
Thanks all for your help.

Looks like this one I was too late. The asking price was $5,000. It did have some cosmetic issues with the plastic parts roughed up but seemed to start and run good. Tires would need replacing soon. Seller said one person before me had asked him to hold it for him until the next morning. The first buyer completed the transaction so will continue looking. The TC18 seemed to be a nice capable SCUT when the biggger tractor is to heavy for the nicer field we call our yard. I used to have a IIRC a late 1980's 1520 Ford made by Shibura and it was a great tractor.

Thanks again for your help and the pricing ranges.

Wayne