TC29D Temperature Sending Unit

/ TC29D Temperature Sending Unit #1  

FHTM_JK

Tractor
2001 NH TC29D; 1951 Ford 8N
Does anyone have a picture of the location of the Temperature Sending Unit on a TC29D? My Temperature Gauge is no longer showing any change when the engine warms up.

/ TC29D Temperature Sending Unit #2  
See attached

Attachments

• Temp Sending Unit.pdf
    154.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Temp Sending Unit-1.pdf
    296.5 KB · Views: 83
   / TC29D Temperature Sending Unit #3  
My NH is similar to yours. My gauge stopped working so I replaced the sender. That wasn't the problem and apparently the gauge is bad. A new gauge is hard to find or too costly so I'm without a gauge.

PXL_20220423_171523122.jpg

/ TC29D Temperature Sending Unit #4  
My NH is similar to yours. My gauge stopped working so I replaced the sender. That wasn't the problem and apparently the gauge is bad. A new gauge is hard to find or too costly so I'm without a gauge.

View attachment 756908
Did you test the gauge? what resistance in ohms do you get from the sender to the block. What resistance do you get when the engine is warm. Compare and contrast. You can also simply take the gauge off and put it in boiling water and then in Ice-water bath to see what resistance you read. if the resistance changes maybe your temp dial is bad. Tip of the sender might also have a lot of calcium and junk built up that interfere with accurate reading. Below is my reading for just comparasio, it should be close. I did not do the ice bath as y sender is just fine.

Tractor Operating temps: Ford 1700

Cold: sender=690 ohms, T housing = 98 , Radiator= 98 , Head=98 , Exh Man=98

Operating temp: sender=140 ohms, T housing = 172 , Radiator=170 , Head=174 , Exh Man=192

1/8" , right of middle: sender=92 ohms, T housing = 196 , Radiator= 196 , Head= 197 , Exh Man=210

Hot
1/8" left of H: sender=66 ohms, T housing = 210 , Radiator= 210 , Head=212 , Exh Man=250

/ TC29D Temperature Sending Unit #5  
Did you test the gauge? what resistance in ohms do you get from the sender to the block. What resistance do you get when the engine is warm. Compare and contrast. You can also simply take the gauge off and put it in boiling water and then in Ice-water bath to see what resistance you read. if the resistance changes maybe your temp dial is bad. Tip of the sender might also have a lot of calcium and junk built up that interfere with accurate reading. Below is my reading for just comparasio, it should be close. I did not do the ice bath as y sender is just fine.

Tractor Operating temps: Ford 1700

Cold: sender=690 ohms, T housing = 98 , Radiator= 98 , Head=98 , Exh Man=98

Operating temp: sender=140 ohms, T housing = 172 , Radiator=170 , Head=174 , Exh Man=192

1/8" , right of middle: sender=92 ohms, T housing = 196 , Radiator= 196 , Head= 197 , Exh Man=210

Hot
1/8" left of H: sender=66 ohms, T housing = 210 , Radiator= 210 , Head=212 , Exh Man=250
How did you fix your gauge? I concluded that my gauge was the problem after replacing the sender. I don't use the tractor much any more and after I saw the prices of a new one, I suspended the project.

/ TC29D Temperature Sending Unit #6  
How did you fix your gauge? I concluded that my gauge was the problem after replacing the sender. I don't use the tractor much any more and after I saw the prices of a new one, I suspended the project.
My gauge was not bad so I did not dork with it. Is your temp gauge independent or is ir part of a cluster. If I were you for sure would just some cheap automotive gauge ( they are all resistivity type) and mount it somewhere withing the sight. it would be a bad day to crack tractor head due to some overheating. The hoses can bust from time to time and without gauge by the time you realize might be too late. If the calibration is off then I would run tractor under load for a while and where the gauge shows put a witness mark to know if you are right of the normal toward overheat. if your gauge is analog then lightly bang on the side with a piece of wood as it might free up the needle and the mechanism under it. I might try something like below. This is just $20 and the sender might even screw right in.

/ TC29D Temperature Sending Unit
See attached
Thanks so much for the pages from the service manual. Where is the best place to get a copy? It would sure save me a lot of time and having to ask a lot of questions.

/ TC29D Temperature Sending Unit

View attachment 756908
Thanks for the picture. Dealer said my gauge is part of a cluster and whole thing would have to be replaced. I've used an infrared temp sensor on hose and upper radiator at operating temp and it is running where it should.

/ TC29D Temperature Sending Unit #9  
@FHTM_JK I've had pretty good luck with NH manuals from this place... They are usually pretty fair priced; it is a PDF down load so make sure you get the one for your machine. There is a search option in the top left of the page, just type TC29D & whatever options they have should come up.

The Repair Manual

/ TC29D Temperature Sending Unit #10  
Thanks for the picture. Dealer said my gauge is part of a cluster and whole thing would have to be replaced. I've used an infrared temp sensor on hose and upper radiator at operating temp and it is running where it should.
Actually you don't have to replace the whole cluster. You can separate the temp gauge from the panel but that gauge is like gold now, if you can find one. I may find an aftermarket gauge and mount it some place. Another option would be to find a parts tractor at a salvage yard. There's a yard with NH tractors near Harrisburg, PA if you make it that way.