TC33D blows fuse at start

/ TC33D blows fuse at start #1  

shade2u2

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
When trying to start my 1999 TC33D the starter fuse blows. Either when charging the glow plug or pushing the key to directly start it the fuse will blow.
I turned the key on and jumped across from the solenoid to the starter and it will start with no issue.
What do you think?
- starter switch, glow plug, ????

/ TC33D blows fuse at start #2  
Something is shorting out to the ground. Visually inspect the wires going to key switch, glow plug and starter to start. It is a process to find the culprit or just might be lucky and see it if it is very obvious. Remove the power to glow plug and try and if the fuse does not burn then you have a lead. Glow plug heater might have an internal short. Just something to start.

/ TC33D blows fuse at start #3  
Troubleshooting electrical without a multimeter is daunting,trying to tell someone how without a multimeter is almost foolish. You had the right idea jumping the solinoid and JC's suggestions are going in the right direction but if the problem doesn't show it will become increasingly difficult without a meter. Hopefully you find a bad wire in your examination. If you are able to heat glow plugs then jump starter solonoid a few more times in coming days without blowing a fuse,that narrows it down to starter circuit. If you don't find the problem post back if you have a meter and someone will walk you through some tests.

/ TC33D blows fuse at start
I do have meter.
I have not found a visual short yet.

/ TC33D blows fuse at start #5  
I do have meter.
I have not found a visual short yet.
Put your meter on OHMs. Disconnect both battery terminals. Put one leed on a chassis ground. Probe the back of the connector for the key switch, starting relay and signal wire for the starter solenoid. Just make sure that when you find a grounded wire it's not suppose to be grounded.

When you find the wire that shouldnt be grounded shake the wire while checking ohms.

/ TC33D blows fuse at start #6  
When you say "the starter fuse blows" are you referring to it's 30amp fuse, see attached? If not let us know which fuse it is along with it's amperage rating.

Attachments

• TC Series Deluxe Electrical Schematic.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
   / TC33D blows fuse at start #7  
So the TC series have issues with the starting circuit, especially as they get older & this can definitely cause the issue you are describing.

You can modify the current wiring & add a dedicated relay for supplying direct power to the starter solenoid via the same circuits. I did this on our TC40D & it made a big difference for our machine.

Basically over time the connections get dirty, contact corrode, ect & there ends up being to much resistance in the circuit to provide full voltage to the solenoid . Adding the dedicated relay eliminates that issue while keeping all other functions of the circuit intact. This may be the issue...

Here is a pic of the relay I added...
Starter Relay Added to TC40D.jpg

Here is the PDF I used... (didn't save the original post... but credit goes to the OP)

Attachments

• Starting Circuit Modification.pdf
    99.3 KB · Views: 70
   / TC33D blows fuse at start
When you say "the starter fuse blows" are you referring to it's 30amp fuse, see attached? If not let us know which fuse it is along with it's amperage rating.
It is the 30a fuse by the starter

/ TC33D blows fuse at start #9  
It is the 30a fuse by the starter
I'd say then you would want to inspect any of the wiring from that fuse to the starter as something is allowing a 30amp draw to blow that fuse. If all the wiring checks out then I'd suspect something with the starter or its solenoid.