TC35D died and won't restart

/ TC35D died and won't restart #1  

tractorblue

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D
Hey Gents, Unfortunately need some expert advice AGAIN! Was mowing widows pasture the other day, was getting low on fuel but not in the red, was going down fairly steep incline and suddenly began to loose power and then died. Filled up with about 5 gallons hoping that was the problem. Engine would crank over but not fire up. Towed backed to the garage to work on. Very familiar and checked the PTO saftey switch (good) the seat switch I've already bypassed along time ago. I keep blowing #2 fuse. I've read about taking out the fuel solenoid and tried staring but nothing happens, I just keep blowing fuses (7 so far). I had also loosed the injector bolts to see if I could get fuel flow when I cranked the engine and little to none flowed. Not sure what the issues could be. I suspected a clogged fuel line at first but now with this #2 fuse blowing all the time my mind is blown. It was'nt blowing fuses at first. Turning over but not firing like no fuel. Need some help brothers!

/ TC35D died and won't restart #2  
What circuit(s) does the number 2 fuse control?

/ TC35D died and won't restart
From what I understand #2 fuse feed seat safety, starter solenoid and the fuel solenoid.

/ TC35D died and won't restart #4  
Sounds like the starter solenoid is working since it cranks, and since you're not getting fuel flow the fuel solenoid is suspect. How many hours on tractor, what problems have you had with it in fairly recent past? How recently did you change the fuel filter?

/ TC35D died and won't restart #5  
Hey Gents, Unfortunately need some expert advice AGAIN! Was mowing widows pasture the other day, was getting low on fuel but not in the red, was going down fairly steep incline and suddenly began to loose power and then died. Filled up with about 5 gallons hoping that was the problem. Engine would crank over but not fire up. Towed backed to the garage to work on. Very familiar and checked the PTO saftey switch (good) the seat switch I've already bypassed along time ago. I keep blowing #2 fuse. I've read about taking out the fuel solenoid and tried staring but nothing happens, I just keep blowing fuses (7 so far). I had also loosed the injector bolts to see if I could get fuel flow when I cranked the engine and little to none flowed. Not sure what the issues could be. I suspected a clogged fuel line at first but now with this #2 fuse blowing all the time my mind is blown. It was'nt blowing fuses at first. Turning over but not firing like no fuel. Need some help brothers!

Usually when you run a diesel tractor out of fuel, you have to bleed the fuel system from the tank to the injector pump before attempting start it. Did you bleed the fuel delivery system before you attempting to start? If not, bleed the system and make sure that the fuel delivery between the tank and filter is good. It's not uncommon to have crud in the fuel tank outlet strainer.

Charge the battery because it sounds like you might have run that down.

Check the wiring in the #2 fuse circuit and make sure you don't have a grounded conductor that's causing the fuse to blow. Make sure that fuel solenoid is opening and closing with the key switch

Coyote Machine; I've got 1200 hrs on the machine, changed the fuel filter last summer.
Jerry MT; all I've done so far is loosen the injector tubes to see if I had fuel flow, which was minimal at best. I guess I'm gonna have to trace down the complete fuel flow from the tank which I'm dreading. I'll also recheck grounding. (I've had that problem in the past)
Thanks guys. Always open to more insights. I'm a novice mechanic but can follow instruction pretty well. this forum has been greatly beneficial in the past.

/ TC35D died and won't restart #7  
Bleed line going to pump.

/ TC35D died and won't restart #8  
Usually when you run a diesel tractor out of fuel, you have to bleed the fuel system from the tank to the injector pump before attempting start it. Did you bleed the fuel delivery system before you attempting to start? If not, bleed the system and make sure that the fuel delivery between the tank and filter is good. It's not uncommon to have crud in the fuel tank outlet strainer.

Charge the battery because it sounds like you might have run that down.

Check the wiring in the #2 fuse circuit and make sure you don't have a grounded conductor that's causing the fuse to blow. Make sure that fuel solenoid is opening and closing with the key switch

All good points for sure; which is why I was asking about time of last fuel filter change. Going downhill could have starved the pump or introduced air into the fuel system and it could still be airlocked as you suggested. And the low fuel level could have allowed junk on the bottom to get sucked into the screens/filter/or Injection pump.

I'd dont want to wear out my welcome here, but any details as to procedures to flush the fuel lines /bleed the air out? I imagine I can figure it out but I'm sure there is a right and wrong way to go about this.

/ TC35D died and won't restart #10  
Not real familiar with your model tractor, but the general idea is to drain your fuel tank and introduce fresh clean fuel to it and through the fuel line from the tank through the filter and then to the Injection Pump, (IP). Usually there is a petcock or other similar device at the filter housing to shut off fuel supply to the fuel bowl while changing out the filter. Often it has a bleed or air position to allow for air to be bled out if needed. And there would be a run or on position for fuel to flow once air has been bled out. If the above isn't present then one might have to crack each injector nozzle fitting, one at a time at the engine head to bleed the air out. First though a clean filter should be installed after draining all fuel out of the tank and if the tank has an internal screen making sure it is not clogged with debris/particulate matter. This might require removing the tank to VERY CAREFULLY shake it up with a small amount of fresh fuel, to free up or disperse any screen clogging, then checking gravity flow of fuel with a section of fuel line from tank to a clean container. Once the flow from the tank is unrestricted, then move to the fuel filter, change it, and verify there are no loose clamps, etc. Then crank engine as mentioned above until fuel is present at the injectors, if it won't bleed out just by intermittently cranking for 15 second intervals. to not overheat the starter windings. Post back results.