TC40a Question? Fuel Safety Module, what is the function of this module?

/ TC40a Question? Fuel Safety Module, what is the function of this module? #1  

dougobear

Tractor
New Holland TC40a
What is the purpose/job of this module? New Holland Prt#86400241, I just had this part become defective recently, It resembles a a module which plugs into the wiring harness( Little black Box) I researched the owners manual and traced the wiring schematics called the two New Holland dealerships in my area and spoke with them about it but they could not give a satisfactory answer!!!! thanks for your help

/ TC40a Question? Fuel Safety Module, what is the function of this module? #2  
My Dad had an old Farmall tractor that had a 4" piece of pipe with a wire coming out of each end. He told me to never mess with it or I'd get shocked. I never messed with it until after he passed and lo and behold...It held a book of matches, rolling papers and a bag of tobacco. His one guilty pleasure, I guess and to hide it from Mom.

/ TC40a Question? Fuel Safety Module, what is the function of this module? #3  
The module enables the fuel shutoff solenoid after receiving input from the key switch and various safety switches.

/ TC40a Question? Fuel Safety Module, what is the function of this module? #4  
Yup.. just as the name implies.. It shuts the engine off if any of "the other" safety systems are open..
seat switch/operator present switch, low oil, overheat, neutral safety switch.. pto switch.. on & on..

/ TC40a Question? Fuel Safety Module, what is the function of this module? #5  
The biggie in my opinion to have this system in working order is to shut down the engine when a low oil level issue might arise. That could save $1000’s.
Crazy stuff happens. Some examples a severe tip/rollover, a lost oil drain plug, an oil pan puncture just to name a few.

/ TC40a Question? Fuel Safety Module, what is the function of this module? #6  
The biggie in my opinion to have this system in working order is to shut down the engine when a low oil level issue might arise. That could save $1000痴.
Crazy stuff happens. Some examples a severe tip/rollover, a lost oil drain plug, an oil pan puncture just to name a few.

Auto shutdowns are fine on unattended equipment I would not want it on a tractor without a bypass.
Our Magnums on the farm have an auto shutdown feature but,
once activated it sounds a large beeper and a flashing indicator,
right next to it is a push button over ride.
You want to be able to overide a shutdown when working at times,
you would lose steering, hydraulic assist to the brakes, and depending on the model 4wd, clutches, ect
which could cause a major accident in which case a cratered engine may be preferable.

/ TC40a Question? Fuel Safety Module, what is the function of this module? #7  
There is no factory overheat, low oil pressure or low water level shutdown on this tractor. Transmission, PTO and operator presence only.

/ TC40a Question? Fuel Safety Module, what is the function of this module? #8  
any way to test the module for functionality. thanks skiboy

/ TC40a Question? Fuel Safety Module, what is the function of this module? #9  
Are these what you are looking for?

Attachments

• Fuel Shutoff Solenoid Testing.pdf
    451.7 KB · Views: 203
  • Relay Testing.pdf
    442 KB · Views: 198
Last edited: