TC40D Electrical issue

/ TC40D Electrical issue #1  

zing77

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I've been having problems with the starter solenoid not kicking in, but after playing with the starter switch, it eventually starts. Went over to the tractor today, turned on the switch and NOTHING. No dash lights or anything else. No solenoid clicking. NOTHING. All fuses are good, including the main fuse. I've read about bad switches and corroded positive batter cables. Anyone have a clue to guide me from here?

/ TC40D Electrical issue #2  
I don't know the tractor age but it really doesn't matter on this one. Remove cables from battery. Clean battery terminals and inside of cable clamps. Replace on battery and tighten securely. If you can rotate them by hand they're not tight. Follow ground lead to frame. Clean and tighten there as well. If it still won't go charge the battery and have it load tested. This gives you a starting point for trouble shooting but may solve your problem.

/ TC40D Electrical issue #3  
I have had to replace the switch in my TC40DA. It is exposed to the elements and eventually quit working. Ordered one from Messick's, simple to swap out. Also had to replace the battery cables due to internal corrosion where the cable is pressed into the terminal. Took both cables to O'Reilly Auto Parts and matched them up for new ones.

/ TC40D Electrical issue #4  
So all fuses are good... but are they getting power? If fuse #2 has no input power from the ignition switch, neither will any of the other fuses. The whole tractor would be essentially dead.

The ignition switch on the TC series are semi-known to go bad... but so are the battery cables... so you should check them also...

We have a TC40D so we know a lot of it's problems...

We have had an internally bad battery cable... & we have modified our starter circuit with a dedicated starter relay... to modify the starting circuit by adding a simple relay so the starter solenoid get direct voltage every time... works great now...

I'd test the switch... & the battery cables first...

/ TC40D Electrical issue #5  
I agree with the key switch, that would be my first go to. As for the positive battery cable, same is true for the negative one and ground straps.

/ TC40D Electrical issue #6  
Test your ign switch, the slo-blo fuses, and test/swap the safety-start relay. (lite & turn relays same)

IgnSwTest.png

/ TC40D Electrical issue
Thanks for all the replies. The problem ended up being a bad connection on one side of the main fuse. We are back to normal.

/ TC40D Electrical issue #8  
Thanks for all the replies. The problem ended up being a bad connection on one side of the main fuse. We are back to normal.
Glad you were able to find the issue and thanks for letting us know.

/ TC40D Electrical issue #9  
I just had problems on my TC40D a week ago. While checking the fuses, I just happened to notice mice had chewed thru three of the wires going to the key switch. Grrrrr....

/ TC40D Electrical issue #10  
I just had problems on my TC40D a week ago. While checking the fuses, I just happened to notice mice had chewed thru three of the wires going to the key switch. Grrrrr....
Nice critters. They got into the under dash compartment of my TC 26Da and chewed the wires to the fuel tank level sender. Left me just enough of a stub to be able to splice two wires in there and get the gauge working again.