TC40D HST/PTO Fails

/ TC40D HST/PTO Fails #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
Well, I hope I'm not setting a world record for the category of "Lowest Hour-Meter Time Before Major Failure"

I have all of 0.4 hours on my new TC40D, driving up and down the driveway twice with FEL loads of debris. I backed up the tractor, shut it down to hitch a chain to a pile of brush, and restarted the tractor. Released the parking brake and depressed the HST forward pedal - Nothing. Tractor's running fine, but NO HST/tractor movement with the forward or reverse pedal. No straining or lugging with the pedals pushed - the engine acts like there is no additional load placed when the pedals are pushed. The Low/Neutral/High gear selection is moving the arm going into the transmission, and it clicks like I'm able to engage gears I and II with the selector. The four wheel drive lever latches, with no results in either the auto 4WD (Sensitrack) or Full Time 4WD. The brake pedal is released. There are no loose pins or linkages below (and I haven't driven on anything other than the driveway to pull anything off). No oil leakage. To make matters worse - the PTO does not rotate when engaged.

And to think I convinced my wife it was better to buy a new tractor so it would be more reliable. She's being real nice about it.

Any suggestions? This sounds like <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=nhown&Number=198726&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=>TC40D PTO/Hydro Problem </A>

/ TC40D HST/PTO Fails
Re: TC40D with no HST/PTO

My wife - she's the greatest - after reading the post above reminded me that my son drove the tractor down the driveway one of the two times, so my total seat time before tractor failure was 12 minutes. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ TC40D HST/PTO Fails #3  

Chris, this sounds like a case of "new tractor mortality" where something was not right from the factory and it just gave up with short usage. I was all set to suggest the hydro pedal problem I had earlier this year until you said the PTO does not operate. It turns out that the PTO has a hydraulic clutch, but that clutch is operated by the pressure from the main hydraulic pump (the one that operates your loader and 3 PH). The HST has a charge pump which performs some utility functions, but the main pump drives a hydraulic motor at a speed determined by your range selector and pedal movement. From your description, it sounds to me like your HST transmission "let go" at a very young age. What a shame./w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif Your only hope is to return the tractor and get it fixed. Good luck.

/ TC40D HST/PTO Fails #4  

First let me say I'm sorry for your inconvenience. It would seem to me that with no HST or PTO, you have a problem between the engine and transmission. That could point to a clutch if in fact the NH is using one like Kubota does. If the PTO was turning then my suspicion would be the HST. Problem is, a clutch set up typically works unless the entire center of the clutch disc broke loose of the friction material which happened to me on my trcuk once. On my Kubota, with no main clutch, nothing behind the engine would work. Best of luck, Rat...

/ TC40D HST/PTO Fails

<font color=blue>I was all set to suggest the hydro pedal problem I had earlier this year </font color=blue>

I am soo thankful for this forum - here I am under the tractor, and I look up and see your hydro pedal part, and I say "hey, there's that thing that had the poor weld on Jim's tractor", and I immediately confirmed the part was intact, and in fact did have a full weld all the way around, not two tack welds. Gosh darn, I may be a city slicker, but you guys have let me become an educated one!

I'll talk to the Dealer today.

/ TC40D HST/PTO Fails

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope that this being the dealer's busy harvest season won't make this a prolonged illness.

/ TC40D HST/PTO Fails #7  

Rat, our Class III Boomers don't have a clutch between the engine and Hydro Transmission. We do have a spring-loaded thrust damper assembly, but nothing can slip like a clutch. In my opinion, Chris's problem is defined by the fact that he has no HST or PTO. If he had one or the other, it would point to something else. With the current symptoms, it could very easily be the thrust damper which has failed or it could be internal to the HST because the input shaft to the HST (the one that drives the HST pump) goes straight through the transmission and powers the PTO through its own hydraulic clutch. If the PTO clutch only was failing, he would have a working HST. Since he has neither, it has to be something common to both.

/ TC40D HST/PTO Fails #8  

jinman, with that being the case, I should then think that it is a hydrostatic issue. I would sure like to see if at the very least a comparable tractor could be supplemented while this one is looked at. My first thought would simply be to replace the whole tractor as 12 minutes isn't even enough to be considered a decent time to test a tractor at the dealer. In the end, I'm confident NH will do the right thing, they have too! Rat...

/ TC40D HST/PTO Fails #9  
Chris......I hate to say this but your problem sounds exactly like mine. New Holland came out to the dealership to oversee the repair, and I now have my tractor back after 3 weeks in 4 of down time. Let us know what your final diagnosis is. (mine was a broken shaft in the tranny)

/ TC40D HST/PTO Fails #10  
Bob, I think your right. Hmmm, you would think it would be a little more bullet proof then that. On my tractor, the PTO runs off the main clutch, any overiding the implement does, does so on the built in override connector. On several of my implements like the 80" Woods brush hog, there is a terrific start up resistance and the resulting consequent inertia that the massive blade and belt system (four parallel belts) develop. It will always overide so to keep it to a minimum, I try to stop the mower after I have throttled down and while the mower is still in grass. Hope it all works out for both of you. Rat...