TC40D SuperSteer HST Braking on Hills.

/ TC40D SuperSteer HST Braking on Hills. #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
A question in a different thead/topic reminded me of an owning/operating question, and I am posting it in this forum to get the maximal <font color="blue">BLUE </font> owner exposure.

I've noticed something while using my TC40D-SS on steeper grades. If I let up on the HST pedal while going down a 20% grade, one of two things will happen:

1) If I am in 2WD, there is so much HST braking force to the one wheel it will easily lock up, and under wet grass conditions the tractor can continue to slide despite no pressure on the HST, and once even despite full brake application. I've had two rides like this, and it wasn't until I understood what was going on that I learned point two.

2) If I am in forced 4WD, the HST braking force seems to be applied equally to both rear wheels (and presumably one of the front wheels) and I will stop, whether it is wet or not. No sliding. If I only decrease pedal pressure, I go slower.

I have a TC40D with Super Steer (with unloaded R4's), which has an autosensing 4WD activation feature. That means, the tractor operates in 2WD until slippage is detected, and the 4WD kicks in when needed. I now keep it in the Autosense mode, but when working on hills I force 4WD. No more WHOA NELLY! slides down the hill.

I suspect that this 4WD activation only occurs when the tractor is asked to increase power to the wheels, rather than times where decreasing power (i.e. stopping) is requested.

Does anybody have any comments or experience with this?

/ TC40D SuperSteer HST Braking on Hills. #2  
One question is at only at high rpm or at high or low rpm.
When it is only on high, it is normal

/ TC40D SuperSteer HST Braking on Hills. #3  
I think the manuel does say to use 4WD lock on steep slopes under load.

I've taken "the ride" down a steep gravel farm drive.. didn't have it in 4WD lock.. it can get dangerous fast. The rear wheels alternate sliding/griping and start a side to side bounce effect on the scary ride down.

/ TC40D SuperSteer HST Braking on Hills. #4  
Yet to experience either one, but thanks for the tip. And... if I can ask, what is the best way to make sure the auto function ie working?

/ TC40D SuperSteer HST Braking on Hills.
You know, I really don't know a way other than trial and error. I guess you could leave the Sensitrack on, lockout the 4WD (push down the lever that is behind the seat to the left) and just find a slope you can't make it up; then try to go up the slope with the 4WD lockout lever pulled up (making 4WD available) and the Sensitrack on.

/ TC40D SuperSteer HST Braking on Hills. #6  
Geardrive tractors react the same way, although they are either locked in 4wd or they aren't. 4wd also by default provides 4wd braking as you just learned. The sensitrak clutch is a fashion of overrunning clutch and negates the 4 wheel braking benefits of a true 4wd. this is also somewhat of an indication that you need more rear ballast, at least going downhill.