TC40DA With Grapple Attachment

/ TC40DA With Grapple Attachment #1  

TCowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4720 Cab
I posted a message a week ago that I had traded my TC40D for a new TC40DA. One of the additions I made was having the dealer route the hydraulic hoses for my Worksaver Grapple attachment to the front of the 17LA loader so I didn't have run 15 feet of hydraulic hose from the grapple to the rear of the tractor. I have attached some pictures to show how the dealer routed the hoses.

I also have attached some pictures of the grapple attachment in action. This is the best attachment I've ever owned. I'm in the process of thinning a stand of overgrown 20 year old Norway and Scotch pine.

DSC00035.JPG

DSC00036.JPG

DSC00037.JPG

DSC00038.JPG

DSC00039.JPG

DSC00040.JPG

DSC00041.JPG

DSC00042.JPG

DSC00043.JPG

/ TC40DA With Grapple Attachment #2  
As a kid growing up in the upper part of Michigan, part of my daily chores was a never ending pile of pine broughs that I had to haul away from where my dad pruned the trees. I hated that job. That doodad you've got there would've sure made my job alot more fun!

/ TC40DA With Grapple Attachment #3  
Terry,

Looks like the dealer did a pretty clean hose routing job.

I'm not to sure about the plumbing elbow fittings though.... they are usualy not rated for anything near your hydraulic system pressure. I would plan on changing them out for proper fittings.

That grapple looks nice too. I am picking up an AnBo 5' GRL tomorrow at the freight terminal. I'll let you all know how it works in a week or so.

Rip

/ TC40DA With Grapple Attachment #4  
wish i had one of those !! I think after all the work of pullin and splicin213' of well pump 2 day and addin another 100' and then her grumpy attitude tonite!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif i'd jist use it 2 set her on the roof for a while /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ TC40DA With Grapple Attachment #5  
Would you mind giving me some additional info on your a grappler attachmet. What brand, cost, etc. Thanks very much.
I am looking to add one to my TC40/LA16 for brush piling.

/ TC40DA With Grapple Attachment #6  
Thats a nice looking grapple and a nice job of plumbing. If it were mine I think I might use a bungee cord to hold up the excess hydraulic line on the front of the loader that appears to be hanging down in one of the pictures. They are sure to catch on something sooner or later if you don't.

How much does your grapple weigh?

/ TC40DA With Grapple Attachment
jmadams, the grapple attachment is made by Worksaver. They have their own website which is believe is just worksaver.com

I purchased the grapple through my NewHolland dealer who works through Edney Distributing out of Lakeville, Minnesota. I bought the grapple two years ago and I believe I paid about $1800 for it. With the price of steel increasing I think it is up to about $2300 now. Its an excellent attachment. The only thing I might change is to add two more "teeth" to the top portion of the grapple. There are five on the bottom and three on the top. Adding two more on the top would allow for a greather meshing so less of the small material falls out.

The downside to this grapple is that it is heavy. I believe it is over 700#. You need some rear ballast.

Pine Ridge, Your right. I should bungy the hydraulic lines that are drooping. I have to allow a little droop as the attachment rotates but I don't need as much as I have.

Terry,

/ TC40DA With Grapple Attachment #8  
Terry
Nice grapple.
As was mentioned by another poster. The 2 cast elbows in pictures 4 & 5 are not rated for the pressures that hydraulics put out. I would recommend they be replaced with hydraulic fittings.

/ TC40DA With Grapple Attachment
Good idea guys on the plumbing. The pieces have held so far but I wouldn't want a couple of gallons of hot hydraulic oil spilled on me and the tractor. It might be a nice project for the weekend.

Terry