tc45 clutch?

/ tc45 clutch? #1  

mikim

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC45
so I decided I felt like doing a little mowing....changed blades, greased everything, 10 minutes into the pasture and the tractor slows to a stop. no noise, no nothing, just stops and won't move. PTO is ok and still running, fel works, but not moving -- in any gear. With clutch out I can shift at will which gives me reason to think the clutch plate quit .....but with no warning or noise? ideas before I haul it to the shop?

/ tc45 clutch? #2  
Mike, does the pedal have 3/4" free play or is it tight? If the clutch was slipping, it probably got hot and stopped. A pedal adjustment is all I can come up with. Bummer!:(

/ tc45 clutch?
it has some free play on top...how much?...3/4 is probably about it....machine only has 775 hrs on it....haven't tried taking it out of 4wd yet ...I'll walk back out there after Trevor gets off the school bus.

/ tc45 clutch? #4  
Mike your pto works since you either have live or independent pto. The only time such a thing happened to me was when I changed the clutch on a Honda with reman disk and pressure plate. The pressure plate was re surface way too much. with the clutch out and I could at will change gears and No go:( ended up doing the work twice. If you did not have any free play I'd tihnk you would hear the throw out bearing touching the finger. If you had way too much free play then you should still grind changing gear. It might be total transmission clutch or pressure plate failure, , neither one is good. Can you kill pto shaft if you push the clutch pedal all the way? of course if you have hydraulically activated independent pto it would make no difference.

JC,

/ tc45 clutch? #5  
Only other thing I can think of is oil contamination from a bad rear engine seal. It seems if that was the problem, you'd have smoke coming out of every tiny opening on the bell housing. You'd smell it for sure. I'd also expect you to smell a slipping clutch as the pressure plate got hot. The fact that it failed gradually over a period of minutes really has me scratchin' my head. The gradual slowing to a stop is a strange symptom with no previous clutch slippage.:confused: