TC45 FEL- well, what did I do to it...

/ TC45 FEL- well, what did I do to it... #1  

Flatheadyoungin

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45 Shuttle
I was having a great time running my flail mower, for really, the first time. I got to sink it in to some heavy stuff, etc.

Well, (live and learn) my chain fell off of my front bucket and I jumped off the where the FEL control was. My shorts grabbed a hold of the FEL control and my pants pulled it way down........raising the front of the tractor...scared the crap out of me.....I should have shut it down first......

I think it over-extended the valves in the valve body or something. Now, my control won't return to center on it's own and it's VERY stiff and cumbersum. Maybe I crushed some of the internal springs.......I don't know...

Does anyone have an exploded view of the valve body for the FEL of a TC45?

When/if I tear this apart, and I unhook the hydraulic lines to it, do I have to somehow bleed them when I hook them back up?

Thanks for all your help.....you guys have been great on many issues, here, for me.....

......here I was wanting to post a great review of my craigslist flail mower....:rolleyes:

/ TC45 FEL- well, what did I do to it... #2  
When I have a stiff spool in a valve, I remove the spool. Then, put it in a lathe and polish it. Return to the valve body and see how it works. Do this slowly as if you take off too much, you get an internal leak. You can always polish it a little more. If you don't have a lathe, a drill press may work. Just don't clamp the spool anywhere that travels inside the valve body.
BTW, where in the heck did you come up with flatheadyoungin?

/ TC45 FEL- well, what did I do to it... #3  
Hmm sounds like you didnt do anything that is serious, and I bet that some of us have done the same thing. I have caught my shorts on my shuttle shift lever but now I just stick in in reverse. Not sure exactly how that joy stick is set up but im guessing that possibly one of the adjustment rods or clevis might have got bent and is hanging up. As far as your hydr lines no worries about bleeding them just disconect and reconect. The rubber caps should all be color coded so no worries on getting them mixed up. If anything you can go to the dealer or someone who has similar tractor and see if they will let you pull that boot off from the joystick so you can compare and might give you a clue on what is mis-aligned. I dont think you did anything serious.

/ TC45 FEL- well, what did I do to it... #4  
The insert in the handle on the controll lever might have broke . It is around a 25 to 30.00 part if that is what it is. If it is a D or DA modlel ?

/ TC45 FEL- well, what did I do to it...
gear.....never can remember which one is which....

FULLPULL said:
The insert in the handle on the controll lever might have broke . It is around a 25 to 30.00 part if that is what it is. If it is a D or DA modlel ?

how much junk is in there? springs go flying out?

well, i started playing with flathead ford v8's......most of the fellas were ole' timers and being around 28 (33 now) i was a "youngin" by most flatheader standard's;)

Wayne County Hose said:
When I have a stiff spool in a valve, I remove the spool. Then, put it in a lathe and polish it. Return to the valve body and see how it works. Do this slowly as if you take off too much, you get an internal leak. You can always polish it a little more. If you don't have a lathe, a drill press may work. Just don't clamp the spool anywhere that travels inside the valve body.
BTW, where in the heck did you come up with flatheadyoungin?

good idea.......maybe i did bend something externally

krackerjack9 said:
If anything you can go to the dealer or someone who has similar tractor and see if they will let you pull that boot off from the joystick so you can compare and might give you a clue on what is mis-aligned. I dont think you did anything serious.

/ TC45 FEL- well, what did I do to it... #8  
Flatheadyoungin said:
My shorts grabbed a hold of the FEL control and my pants pulled it way down........raising the front of the tractor...scared the crap out of me.....I should have shut it down first......:rolleyes:
Glad you aren't hurt. Thank God I look bad in shorts. No chance I will ever get them caught on anything except the bedpost.

I hope this is an easy fix. That TC45 is one of the better/trouble free New Holland models. I always wondered why I have not seen many problems reported about it on TBN, compared to other NH models

/ TC45 FEL- well, what did I do to it... #9  
They have a microfish view of the valve at the NH web site under parts just type in your model no and it will give you a complete breakdown. Yours is a A model and the part i thought might have broke is for the D or DA . I would pull the rubber dust boot out of the mount around your controll lever and you should see if you bent anything there on top of the valve. It is a basic linkage to work the valves .

thanks, i forgot about that.......

FULLPULL said:
They have a microfish view of the valve at the NH web site under parts just type in your model no and it will give you a complete breakdown. Yours is a A model and the part i thought might have broke is for the D or DA . I would pull the rubber dust boot out of the mount around your controll lever and you should see if you bent anything there on top of the valve. It is a basic linkage to work the valves .