TC45D - No Mid PTO?

/ TC45D - No Mid PTO? #1  

MemRogue

I have been looking at new tractors for a long, long time. Made HUGE mistake by buying a lower cost used tractor. I always like to go for the most engine HP for physical tractor size - just seems like the smart thing to do in the long run. I would probably buy the TC45D tomorrow if this tractor had a mid PTO. The 35D and down Boomer's have the capacity to attach a mid-mount mower which is a real need in my case. John Deere larger tractors, 4700 and down, all have this capability and the Kubota tractor, much like the Boomers, offer this is the lower HP range tractors only. With the SuperSteer option and swivel seat, the Boomers really seem the way to go if you have a lot of tight structure on your property to contend with. Anybody heard any reasons why the mid-pto for the 45D is incompatible?

/ TC45D - No Mid PTO? #2  
MemRogue, I'm not sure why the TC45 has no mid-PTO available, but it is available on the TC40 and below, not just the TC35 and below. At first, I thought it was because of the 4-cyl engine on the two larger tractors, but the TC40 is 4-cyl, so that theory doesn't fit. It could be related to horsepower. Perhaps the TC45 is slightly above the mid-PTO horsepower rating. I'm not sure.

JimI

/ TC45D - No Mid PTO? #3  
MemRogue

I have asked the same question as well as why no dual speed rear PTO. I have been told that many people do ask it. The only answer I get is that maybe in the next year or two they will add center PTO as an available option since there does seem to be a great deal of interest for it. I guess in retrospect I don't really miss it. My rear mount finishing mower does a great job & it is easy to take on & off. I might be less likely to use the tractor for other things if I always had to go through the hassle of pulling a huge mower from under the unit when I need the ground clearance or just didn't want it to get damaged. The one thing that might be nice though would be the ability to easily install a front mount snow blower... but that doen't affect me since I am a rear blade & FEL person when it comes to snow removal. (I hate all the snow that comes flying back in your face if the wind gusts the wrong way)

I think if NH is smart they will start offering it soon. They sure would sell more mower decks & snow blowers. They should also offer a dual speed rear PTO option as well for that matter.

Troy

/ TC45D - No Mid PTO?
JimI, Thanks for the reply. I relooked at the New Holland brocure and the TC40D does have the capability to use a mid-mount mower. I know 5 HP doesn't sound like much, but I sure do wish the larger TC45D had the mid PTO, acutally I wish New Holland would follow the lead of the other two manufactures and make a more powerful engine - like a TC48D and with mid PTO. Have you ever used or heard of the mid-mount mowers that are driven by the rear PTO. I have seen some setups down here and they look like monstrosities. I can't decide whether to go with the TC40D or drop down another tractor size and settle for the TC33D. Actually took my wife to the dealers yesterday and she immediatley prefered the TC33D. In her humble but accurate opinion, the TC33D would be plenty big enough for all of the chores around our place. She is right but I am hopeful someday we will be able to obtain another place with more acreage and TC33D would be inadequate for the task.

/ TC45D - No Mid PTO?
dieselpwr, I appreciate the info. The dealer here did not tell me that NH may add this in the near future. It would be worth it for me to postpone most of my projects for about a year for that. I presently use a rear mount and the it feels like the mower is sooo far behind the tractor. I know it is not near as bad as a bush hog. Have you ever used a flail mower? They do not seem to stick out as much and may would help me get around all of the trees more easily. I have never had the opportunity to use one. The ones around here are expensive and I have heard other people say they do not like the quality of cut.

/ TC45D - No Mid PTO? #6  
MemRogue, I'm not aware of any rear-drive mid-mount mowers, but they may be out there. Honestly, I just can't get into finish mowing with my tractor. I have an old Gilson 16hp hydrostatic drive mower with a 48" deck that I bought for $365 and rebuilt. It can get any finish mowing job done quickly and it easily goes around my trees. I really can't imagine a situation where I would want to use a larger tractor. I keep my TC45D for the really heavy jobs using the FEL and boxblade. I know that's just my preference, but it clearly seems a waste of power to use this tractor for finish mowing (like using a school bus to commute to work). Now listen, I could be wrong here. If you want it all (and who doesn't) in one tractor, I can see your point. If I were you, I'd take your wife's advice and go for the TC33D. These tractors hold their value really well and if you really need a bigger tractor later, you might find that even the TC45D is not big enough. Of course, if money is no object, I suggest buying a 5 ft ZTR mower and the TC45D. You'll be the envy of everyone on the block /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif.

JimI

/ TC45D - No Mid PTO? #7  
Memrogue,

I have a TC35 (neglected the mid PTO option). So far I don't really miss it. I have 9 ac of pasture grass. I mow that with a 6' rotary cutter. With the telescopic links it is so very easy to switch implements that I can't ever imagine a mid mount mower. The one major advantage of course of a mid mount (in addition to visibility) is the mower will have a chance to cut before the rear wheels squish everything flat. On the other hand you can only do side discharge with a mid mount. From what I've read, most people seem happy with large mowers being rear discharge vs. side discharge (less windrows?). When the times comes that's what I'll get.

Good luck with your decision.

Peter

/ TC45D - No Mid PTO? #8  
MemRogue

I have a flail mower too. It is not something you want to try & do a lot of turning with. In my opinion they are overpriced for what they are. They don't give as nice a cut as a finishing mower will. If all your using it for is cutting large lawn your far better off with a finishing mower - especially if you have to go around a lot of trees. They may sit really close to the back of the tractor but they just sort of drag around corners since there are no pivoting wheels. As for how soon they will put a center PTO on the 45Ds I wouldn't hold my breath. Until I see it on paper I sure wouldn't base my purchase or wait decision on anyones speculation.

Troy

Troy

/ TC45D - No Mid PTO? #9  
having been a ford/new holland salesman for 20 years maybe i can answer your question. its not that a midmount mower isnt compatable with a TC45D but rather that the 45D doesnt have a mid pto..reason..the largest midmount mower New Holland offers is the 84" 914 and a TC40D is more than capable of running it. so to hold down costs on the 45D New Holland decided not to put a mid pto on it. the engines have the same engine block ( slightly larger cylinder bore in the 45D) and both tractors can operate the same implements.

/ TC45D - No Mid PTO?
I have talked to local NH dealers in the Memphis area and they have really never given me an answer as to why no mid-PTO on the TC45D. The literature states the mid-PTO for the TC35 & 45D are "DIA", which I was assuming meant Dealer Installed Accessory. If this is the case, and they can do it, would the local NH dealer need to get permission from NH corporate to perform this?