Traction TC55 / DX 55 Tire Traction ????

/ TC55 / DX 55 Tire Traction ???? #1  

deerhunterf350

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC55DA
Hey guys I am getting close to pulling the trigger and ordering either a TC 55 or DX 55 in the next couple of weeks.

I have one question that I would like to get answered.

TIRES / TRACTION

I am torn between R1 (ags) or R4 (Ind) tires, There will be some significant FEL work the first 6 months of the Tractors life. Cleaning up around the Place, And some Moderate Brush Hog work But after that it will be light FEL work, then there will be the yearly Plowing and Discing of a 1/4 acre Garden area. Medium to Heavy Red Clay is the Ground Composition.

Down the road I may get a Rear Finish Mower????? That is a <font color="red">MAYBE</font>

Looking for feedback from both R1 and R4 owners.

/ TC55 / DX 55 Tire Traction ???? #2  
I have a TC40DA with R4's. I have an NAA with Ags. A friend has a Kobota with Ags. I prefer Ags. From my experience you get better all around traction from the Ags. The R4's on my tractor are adequate but I wish my TC40DA had Ags.

/ TC55 / DX 55 Tire Traction ???? #3  
I'm running industrial tires on my TC55 with a loader and back hoe. With the rear tires filled approximately 1600 lbs of weight was added to the tractor. This combined with the weight of the back hoe offers effective "pushing" ability under most conditions. When getting into wet greasy clay she'll spin but I can still get a full bucket load when in 4wd. If you're going to plow with industrial tires keep in mind that these are WIDE tires and you'll need a large mouldboard because of this. Overall I'm very pleased with the set up.

/ TC55 / DX 55 Tire Traction ???? #4  
I have industrial Tires (R4's) on my TC55DA and did the same thing what you are having in mind on doing.

Enjoy your new tractor!

Max

/ TC55 / DX 55 Tire Traction ????
DieselMonk,

No problems with the Width of the R4 fitting in the open furrow when plowing?

How many Bottom Plow do you Pull?

What is the width of your MoleBoard?

Sorry for all the ??'s, but I want to try to cover all the bases before I order the Tractor, and wish I had this or had not gotten that type of thing.

Thanks.

/ TC55 / DX 55 Tire Traction ???? #6  
For what you are doing, you will be better off with R1s. If you want the tough look and or are on hard surfaces a large percentage of the time or you want to mow the yard, then get the R4s. Besides the R1s are adjustable for width.

/ TC55 / DX 55 Tire Traction ???? #7  
That plow I pulled wasn't mine and right of hand I can't remember for sure what the width of the moleboard was either. It was a two bottom plow though. He is a big advice for you: Get your rear tires loaded and get the R4s backwards mounted on the rim. This way the tractor gets wider at the rear end and you have more stability. The R4's are wider than the R1's. Engine block heater is good to have as well. I am not sure if you are ordering the EHSS or the SSS model.

Have fun ordering!

Max

/ TC55 / DX 55 Tire Traction ???? #8  
I have to cast my "vote" on the side of R1s. It sounds like 80% of the jobs you will do fits the R1 profile. Wide R1s will give you the best combination of flotation and traction for working in loose sandy soil before and after tilling.

One of the things R4s give you is very wide, high flotation front tires (probably 10.5" wide). These do perform very well under the load of a full bucket of dirt, probably better than the R1s. I guess everything is a tradeoff. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have R4s on my TC45D and I wish I'd opted for R1s.

/ TC55 / DX 55 Tire Traction ???? #9  
Deerhunter,

After 180 hours with my 55DA, I'd have to say you should go with R1s. On too many occasions I run out of traction before I run out of power. Since you'll be doing a lot of loader work in the beginning you will surely want to load up the tires for the added traction and the required ballast for safe FEL operation. Later on, when you start doing a lot of lighter work, you could unload the tires so the R1s won't "footprint" too bad. Another advantage of the R1s is that they're cheaper (uh... I mean less expensive).

In 90% of my work so far, the 48DA would have performed just as well as the 55DA, but I wanted the EHSS option and it wasn't available on the 48DA. If you're not going to buy the EHSS on the 55, I'd highly consider getting the 48 with R1s. The FEL performance is the same between both tractors. Compare the pricing on a 55DA/EHSS/R4s & the 48DA/NON-EHSS/R1s. This might make your decision a little more difficult. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you choose. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have goodun'

/ TC55 / DX 55 Tire Traction ???? #10  
There are some pics on the buying/pricing board of a TC33 a guy bought used with R4s on the front and Ags on the back. That sounds like something you might want to consider.

The wider R4 fronts will be useful to support a loaded bucket, but I don't think they'd be any wider than the Ags at the rear when it comes to furrows and working the ground. It could be tricky getting a new tractor ordered out that way, though. With Kubota's, the dealer here orders the tractor separate from the wheels and tires. I don't know if NH works that way or not.