Tell me about this band saw I purchased!

/ Tell me about this band saw I purchased!
Once I get the numbers all locked in and wheels figured, I'll start tearing it apart and fabbing up the carriage frame... It's looking to be a little over 5 feet wide.. the saw just as it sits will cut 20 deep by almost 30 wide when I flip it horizontal.. going to be a big build.:D
IMG_20201229_172818394.jpg
IMG_20201229_172841474.jpg

If anyone can make any sense of these numbers on the wheels that would be great.. I tried several different searches got notda..
IMG_20201229_012322767.jpg

Last edited:
   / Tell me about this band saw I purchased! #12  
.. by not having any reference numbers what the wheels were designed for and the rpm/SFM they can handle... I'm just taking my best guess by comparing to other similar saw models.

You're already reducing motor rpm by pulleys, and the wheels will turn more slowly than on my 14" that I 'geared down' from wood use to metal. Expect the wheels not to fall apart when spinning to provide > 2,000 SFM up to 4,000 typical for wood. (friend Dave's 14" meat saw does > 2,500 SFM.)

At 4,000 SFM your 20" wheels would be turning at ~705 rpm.

btw, my 14" 'wood' saw is pulley/jack-shaft reduced to about 420 SFM (~ 1/5) for metal with the OEM motor. The wheels turn at ~115 rpm. 20" wheels would turn ~ 66% slower than that. At 2,000 SFM 20"s woukd turn at about 350 rpm but that's ~ 4x too fast SFM for alum and ~ 6x too fast for steel. Would you be sawing wood or metal?

- Wheel dia x pi x 12 & divided by its rpm = SFM. If we start with SFM we divide by that to find rpm.
- I bought 14" tires from Grizzly to replace on my 40 YO Buffalo. Nice that models are still made on the same platform because I was also able to replace the upper axle and block, drop rit.

My point is that tires might not be difficult to source regardless of make or age. Running on bare metal wheels may compromise the bladed kerf over time.

btw, For straight cutting the teeth vs the blade's 'center' should ride on the tire's crown. You knew that. :)

(I had to learn that from woodworkers. :rolleyes:)

Horizontal band sawmill is what it will become..
The original 3ph motor was removed no idea of it's rpm or hp,
replaced with the 2hp 110 motor 1725rpms..so that's why I was trying to figure out the wheels limits..so

From lots of reading and searching that last number stamped on the wheel I think is it's limit in fpm-5003
So I I think I'm fine in what the saw can handle.

Definitely looking into tires for the wheels, found 2 options flat tires or crowned tires.
The upper saw tensioner has a second adjuster, I think it's for changing the angle of the wheel for tracking???
If it is then just flat tires and adjust the adjuster???:laughing:
Never had that on a meat saw!

Last edited:
   / Tell me about this band saw I purchased! #14  
Yes, surely the tracking adjuster. Not sure if a flat-faced tire might be for anything but meat. (David angle-slices deer hams to make long, narrow steaks w/bone, and usually frozen first ;) I never looked at his tires.)

I'd advise crowned tires by far for wood or metal cutting based on much experience with both. (That's where the tracking adjuster works by tilting the wheel, always re-check blade guides) Those I found compatible from Grizzly are urethane vs rubber. Heat 'em, stretch 'em on, slide a round screwdriver etc 360 deg around the rim 'neath each while still warm to 'normalize' stresses in them per instuctions. Look for the proper width and don't worry if the groove is used to keep it centered. Curbs on the wheel are enough if you have them, and I suspect/hope the important rear one on at least is already there.

Also you have what looks like a sliding table, by what appear to be ways 'neath it. (sweet if so) Once you can add/set adjustable-height blade guides you only need one thing for this setup to send a vertical band-saw scurrying with its tail between its legs.

If the table will slide, I'd attach 90 deg angle-plate into the table (DIY angle widgets can accommodate cuts not at 90 deg) and add an adjustable jaw/screw (jaw face/size need not match, add holes to table for both?) and IMO you'd be able to set up any/all cuts more easily. (coolant could be a mess if saw is not built to be horizontal, I advise mist or MQL if any)

Why I have my preference: Horizontal saws have their own way of adjusting feed/down-pressure. The last one I had daily access to at GM had a hydro cylinder and a valve handle not unlike you'd see on a bottle jack. You'd snug it down first and let up to get the feed rate and/or pressure for the size-shape mat'l you were cutting. (sparkys would visit and not start with a slow feed when cutting their channel. Using the saw would often include changing out for a blade with most of its teeth intact.)

Anyway, if you use the saw as is and take advantage of a sliding table you would always be able to control feed pressure by hand. It wouldn't have to save you blade changes, but save you designing/fabbing something to control feed pressure and follow your chip when cutting. There's enough difference between sawing 1/4" steel and 1" stuff to matter.btw, We had two verticals in our shop. One had a fixed table, no coolant, and was use for contour cuts. The Do-All vertical did probable > 95% of the work between those two and the horizontal.

Just my :2cents:, but if you have a plan. :)

Yes I have a plan.. but all information is always good information..
Will be going with the crowned urethane tires.
Thanks for the help