Tell me how to be safe if I encounter a snake (semi rural Texas)

/ Tell me how to be safe if I encounter a snake (semi rural Texas) #1  

Tangoddess

Bronze Member
Tractor
None yet
Hi,

Seeking some advice from all you helpful folks on here. We live on a small residential farm in the North Houston, TX area. We will be having some family members move in with us, they are city folk, now moving here because of health needs.

They are petrified, as I am, of snakes :( and we have already seen a few this year. I do not know much about them and try not to learn :(

Our property is clear of brush etc, so it is mostly open land with trees scattered, eventually we will plant some grass.

What are the best practices to stay safe if my family members come across a snake?

I understand there are different types, some venomous, some not etc. I doubt anyone is planning to kill them unless it is a life and death situation, but how does one safely behave if one sees one close to themselves?

To add, what should be done, if Lord forbid, one is bitten....I understand call 911....but I read something about putting the bite site below the heart...but above the heart for example for a coral snake, but maybe I am mixed up on this.

Any advice you can give me to learn and share with them to stay safe will be appreciated. I understand that other insects can be more deadly, bees, etc. but that is for another day.

Please do not post images of snakes if possible.

Thank you

/ Tell me how to be safe if I encounter a snake (semi rural Texas) #2  
Not a snake expert, nor do I know how to not encounter them in the wild.

One thing that can help is to keep their food source at bay. Do not leave food out and about that mice, rats etc. like to eat as the little critter will be attracted to it and in turn the snakes attracted to the critters.

/ Tell me how to be safe if I encounter a snake (semi rural Texas)
Not a snake expert, nor do I know how to not encounter them in the wild.

One thing that can help is to keep their food source at bay. Do not leave food out and about that mice, rats etc. like to eat as the little critter will be attracted to it and in turn the snakes attracted to the critters.

Thank you. We do not have any food outside not even Dog food. So far no mice or rat issues, but our neighbors who are maybe a mile or half a mile away on each side and across the street may have rats etc that bring these snakes to the area.

We also will eventually get our livestock back lost it due to Harvey and they will need to be fed hay, etc. Not sure if that will be an attractant to the rats, mice etc.

/ Tell me how to be safe if I encounter a snake (semi rural Texas) #4  
Best learn to identify the venomous snakes of your area and if encountered, give them a wide berth. Non-venomous are your friend and will keep the rodent and even insect population down.
Snakes love to sun themselves in the early spring and fall so be careful of them at that time because they wont be too aware of your movements and you may step right on one before it will move (or rattle in case of a rattlesnake).

Water moccasins will be attracted to your lake when you get it stocked with fish and naturally frogs will come which is good moccasin food. Just be watchful as you walk around the banks. Keep the grass mowed close so you can see any critter laying around the perimeter. There is a water snake that resembles a water moccasin but has no fangs or venom. They are a bit hard to distinguish from a moccasin until you can see them up close so just avoid them like you would a black water moccasin.
I don't think you have any laws against killing snakes in Texas unlike here in Arkansas it is illegal to kill any snake.

/ Tell me how to be safe if I encounter a snake (semi rural Texas) #5  
Learn to recognize venomous ones from non. The easiest giveaway is the shape of the head - somewhat triangular generally means venomous, non-triangular, generally not. Coral snakes are an exception, but then they are easy to recognize due to their coloration. In Texas, you are "blessed" with lots of venomous rattlesnakes. Easy enough to identify via their rattle. Leave the non-venomous alone as they are superb at controlling rodents and other vermin. Unless you have chickens, because they are also superb at stealing eggs.

Keep firmly in mind that almost all snakes are terrified of people and will do most anything to avoid them. But they will certainly defend themselves if cornered or threatened, so DON'T DO THAT! In my experience, if you have an unexpected encounter, FREEZE. Then observe the snake. Hopefully after a minute or so for the surprise factor to back down for both of you, the snake will turn and harmlessly escape.

The ONLY snake I have ever encountered that seemed "mean" and actually aggressive toward humans is the water moccasin/cottonmouth. They are always around water, so either avoid their favorite places, or carry a small revolver loaded with shotshells.

/ Tell me how to be safe if I encounter a snake (semi rural Texas) #6  
Lack of food (rodents), water (for the rodents), and cover are your best snake deterrents. By keeping the rodent population down, you reduce the attractiveness of your area to snakes. Stay on top of your rodents with traps and poison (if you can due to farm animals, kids, dogs, etc). Snakes do not like open ground if they can help it. If you do find one, leave it to heck alone. I know it seems to sound obvious, but growing up in AZ, almost every single snake bite I heard about was from someone that instead of backing away and leaving the snake alone, they went and started pestering it. That is a sure fire way to get yourself bit. They almost always give you plenty of warning, and want to avoid you as much as you want to avoid them.

We would occasionally get snakes around our farm growing up (in AZ), and yes they are attracted to rodents. If it was a rattlesnake, and it was anywhere near the outbuildings or livestock, it got killed. No pomp, no circumstance, just a shovel, .22 or shotgun. Dead snake. If it was out in one of the far pastures, it got left alone. If it was a harmless snake, it got left alone, regardless of where we found it (although Mother always made us take them out of the main house).

/ Tell me how to be safe if I encounter a snake (semi rural Texas) #7  
If it's any consolation, you and your guests are more likely to die from hornet, wasp, or bee stings than a snake bite.:)

Screenshot 2018-03-11 at 1.46.26 PM.png

From Which are the most dangerous animals in America? - Marginal REVOLUTION.

Steve

/ Tell me how to be safe if I encounter a snake (semi rural Texas) #8  
Be aware, watch for different types of wildlife activity...often birds and other animals like squirrels will alert you to the presence of predators especially snakes...
I didn't see mention of owning a dog but canines are usually vigilant of snakes...some breeds are very tolerant of poisonous bites...

/ Tell me how to be safe if I encounter a snake (semi rural Texas) #9  
We are blessed an abundance of venomous snakes and like most they will do their best to avoid you, if you should surprise one just back away quietly and they should turn tail and move on.
We only have one snake that will actively seek you out but fortunately not where we are.
They are generally most aggressive during the breeding season.
As others have stated keep areas clean and try to avoid giving them somewhere to hide.
Keeping grass short helps but some snakes (such as our tiger snake) could blend in on any surface and remain unseen.
Most are masters of disguise as I discovered when I was fishing, I managed to put my hand on a 6' black snake on a white rock, it just looked like a shadow, I don't know who got the biggest fright but we both took off in opposite directions.
If bitten apply a broad restrictive bandage from the bite zone and continue along the limb for about 12" or more if you can, put a mark on the bandage to show where the bite is and do not wash the wound as this can assist with identifying the snake.
Do not cut the wound like in the old movies and do not apply a tourniquet, seek medical assistance, keep still and try to relax.

Edit: Forgot the obvious, make plenty of noise when moving around, step heavily, they will sense the vibration and get out of the way before you are even aware they are there.

/ Tell me how to be safe if I encounter a snake (semi rural Texas) #10  
.... I do not know much about them and try not to learn :(

That sentence in gonna be your biggest problem. You should learn about them, especially how to identify them. Why would you try not to learn about them?