Tempermental Hydraulics

/ Tempermental Hydraulics #1  

Beaverplt

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L225
Hi all, I have an L225 Kubota with a front end loader. My problem is the loader will, on occasion, stop working. I don't use this tractor that much, so I can leave it for a couple hours or a day and it will start working again. I'm mechanically inclined, but not very knowledgable on hydraulics. Can anyone point me in the right direction to look for issues? Thanks

/ Tempermental Hydraulics #2  
Hi all, I have an L225 Kubota with a front end loader. My problem is the loader will, on occasion, stop working. I don't use this tractor that much, so I can leave it for a couple hours or a day and it will start working again. I'm mechanically inclined, but not very knowledgable on hydraulics. Can anyone point me in the right direction to look for issues? Thanks

I would first try resetting the loader QDs but without knowing the maintenance record for the tractor... I would suggest replacing the filter(s), fluid and clean the screen... if the tractor sits it would not hurt to check the caps on the bottom of the spools for condensation...
Good Luck..

/ Tempermental Hydraulics
Thanks. It's just about due for spring maintenance, but with the weather so nice this past weekend I took the opportunity to get some downed tree's pulled out of the woods. Silly question. What are QD's?

/ Tempermental Hydraulics #4  
Thanks. It's just about due for spring maintenance, but with the weather so nice this past weekend I took the opportunity to get some downed tree's pulled out of the woods. Silly question. What are QD's?

"QD" Quick Disconnects...Assuming the loader is detachable the cylinder lines should be connected to the valve with QDs..?

/ Tempermental Hydraulics
Aha!. I don't have QD's on this tractor. Standard connectors were on it when I bought it 20 yrs ago. I've never had the need to remove the loader, so never installed them. The lines attaching the loader to the tractor are still in reasonably good shape considering their age. When they get to the point of showing a lot of cracking, then I'll probably install QD's.

/ Tempermental Hydraulics #6  
Agreed on checking hte Qd's first. they may be ill fitting and sometimes block pressure off ( throwing pump/valve into relief ) and later when pressure bleeds off after setting, flow again.

/ Tempermental Hydraulics #7  
Does it stop working while in use, meaning it works for a while and then stops; or does it occasionally just not work at all when you start the tractor? Mine does the latter, sometimes the hydraulics don't work at all on first startup. If I rev the engine and hold it for a while, it will usually kick in; apparently the hydraulic pump is losing prime, or something, and it takes a bit to get it working again. If I remember to work all the hydraulic valves after shutting off the tractor, so all the line pressure is relieved, I don't seem to have this problem.