Tension roller on Woodland Mills WC88

/ Tension roller on Woodland Mills WC88 #1  

Oz_Kioti

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti RX8030
I've just fabricated a bigger diameter tension roller for my WC88 to hopefully extend the life of the belts.

The belt manufacturer (Gates) recommends a minimum diameter of 6" (152mm) for a backside idler (tension roller), but the WM design is only 38mm (1.5").

Is anyone else out there experiencing shorter than expected belt life?

belts.jpg Modified tension roller.jpg

/ Tension roller on Woodland Mills WC88 #2  
The only belt problem I had was after the initial break in I smelled the belts burn on a very hard pull for a large piece of wood. I then tighten the spring tension eye and I have not had a problem again.

/ Tension roller on Woodland Mills WC88 #4  
Nor I with mine ...
I see cracks in your belt. The springs don't look to have much space between the coils. If the belts are slipping, they're heating and getting hard. Perhaps some more tension and new belts would help.

Last edited:
   / Tension roller on Woodland Mills WC88 #5  
1. Belts are shot, need replaced
2. adjustment eye bolts need run out a bit (but in reality probably don't as the belts are stretched and shot.

/ Tension roller on Woodland Mills WC88
I had adjusted the belts' tension as per the manual (6mm deflection under "firm" pressure) but, maybe I wasn't firm enough. I'll toughen up, apply even firmer tension, and reset the springs.

And are you guys using toothed belts, or plain?

1. Belts are shot, need replaced
2. adjustment eye bolts need run out a bit (but in reality probably don't as the belts are stretched and shot.
The first photo I posted shows the original OEM belts which totally failed, and which were replaced with a new set which star in the second photo. These are now showing signs of cracking/deterioration - hence the bigger roller.

But as long as the current belts (second photo) retain all their teeth, I'll keep on using them.

/ Tension roller on Woodland Mills WC88 #9  
I'm curious... Did you buy a 'matched (for length) set or just buy them as individual belts? With a multi belt drive, replacement belts must be purchased as a matched (for length) set.

If you buy them individually, the longest belt will carry the load and fail soonest.

Well, that's interesting. I simply ordered four belts, assuming that four from the same manufacturer would be identical. I had not heard (until now) that belts could be ordered and supplied as a set.

And that might explain why two of them are "looser" than the other two. Not by much, but noticeable.

I'll check around a few of the shops which deal with these things. My nearest town (Toowoomba) is an agricultural city, with quite a few tractor dealers, industrial workshops, oil rig suppliers, etc, so surely some of the suppliers would know about this concept (matched belts) - or maybe not.

When I needed a pair of manufacturer specified specific bearings for the front axle of my last tractor, several bearing shops had never heard of the "HL" suffix* on a bearing. I finally tracked down a pair from a motorcycle repair/overhaul facility in Tasmania, the big island at the bottom of the country. They're the main bearings in some motorbikes.

*HL = SPHERICAL ROLLER BEARING WITH INCREASED LOAD CAPACITY.

Thanks for the heads-up 5030.

EDIT - Did you mean the shortest belt will carry the load?