Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
Just bought 2016 GMC 2500 HD crew cab long bed 4x4 WT (vinyl floor) truck. I'm sick to my stomach because of the terrible road noise I'm experiencing. Can't pinpoint yet wether it is coming from tires, engine, or wind. Seems to come straight at the driver through the firewall.

1) anyone else experience this?
2) what is most likely cause?
3) what can I do to fix this?

I'm already dreading long road trips😠

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #2  
I'd check for any obvious lose parts in the engine compartment (a lot of plastic in there) and on the front grill/headlight assemblies. Also check that lower front air dam (not so sure it's on the WT). Have the tires been rotated yet and perhaps somebody crossed them? If not I'd being keeping an eye on the tires themselves for unusual wear. You might have a bad one.

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #3  
If you have the big extendable camper mirrors, they make a lot of noise from the wind.

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #4  
Lack of carpet making the noise worse?

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #5  
I would take it back to the dealer and have them go for a ride with you. Let them figure out why it is so noisy.

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #6  
I spend a career in truck NVH at a US manufacturer. It would help a lot if you can pin point when it is noisy.

Is it noisy at a certain road speed? Or road surface? Or engine RPM?

Just general noise can often be traced back to a lack of body sealing like a firewall grommet not seated.

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #7  
Yeah, does the noise scale with engine RPM or MPH? Does it happen at a particular RPM or speed?

What happens if you put the transmission in neutral at cruising speed and let the engine idle while you coast?

Any vibration or shakes?

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #8  
My f250 developed a whirring sounding like it was coming from the left front wheel area. Turned out to be a bad bearing in the rear differential found by a very good mechanic. The sound transferred up to the cab via the drivetrain from the rear diff. I'd have never found that on my own.

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #9  
Sometimes something can fall in between the motor and firewall during production...shipping...at dealer... etc.. and cause motor/drive train noises to be more noticeable in the cab. Or exhaust leak right and the exhaust manifold.. Goes back to if the noise is in tune to engine RPM or road speed... My 2001 Dodge Cummins sounds like it is coming thru the firewall... but.. I LIKE IT...!!!

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck
Thanks so much for your replies. I'm losing sleep over this because this new truck is replacing a 2001 Chevy just like it (2500 HD Crew cab, long bed, 4x4 vinyl floor) in addition, I have an identical 2005 at my business. I want to think that I'm just imagining things, but the sound coming through the firewall just fills up my ears while driving. It's definitely worse than my other 2 much older trucks. It sounds to me that this sound is coming from the contact of the tire on the road (drivers side tire) does not seem to change with engine RPM. I suppose I cannot rule out exhaust problem. It is a low pitch roar. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm fearful that the dealership will not hear it like I do, or will not have a fix for it if they do.