Terrible tiller accident, shut off your pto folks

/ Terrible tiller accident, shut off your pto folks #1  

slowzuki

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HSTC, MF 5455, Kubota M120, Allis Chalmers 7010
A local man and his father in law were tilling a hillside pasture to reseed it. The father in law was driving the Kubota L5240HSTC the man was raking and moving rocks. The tiller jammed on a rock, so the operator lifted it up. The man was nearby and instinctively grabbed the rock to pull it out.

Unfortunately he got it out, unfortunately because the pto was still on with the slip clutch slipping. Because of the pto shield being in place and chained properly, the man did not see the pto was operating.

He lost his right arm to the elbow and they are trying to give him some function in his mangled left hand and forearm. It will never work like a normal hand, just trying to save the forearm.

Please be careful out there. This sort of reinforces my dislike of PTO shields, the covers make the machine seem almost safe to be around. I know its different with stationary pto operated devices like augers that people have to be around. I'd just rather not allow anyone near the pto or machine.

/ Terrible tiller accident, shut off your pto folks #2  
This sort of reinforces my dislike of PTO shields, the covers make the machine seem almost safe to be around.
I disagree, this reinforces my rule which is:
If the engine is on, act like the PTO is also on and don't put yourself in a position where you could get entangled with the implement.
To do otherwise is foolish (at best) and asking for trouble.

I'd just rather not allow anyone near the pto or machine.
I agree

Aaron Z

/ Terrible tiller accident, shut off your pto folks #3  
whoa, this just reeks of stupidity. Farm equipment is dangerous enough to be around when you're NOT doing stupid stuff but there were TWO people in this case to blame. First, the operator should have shut the PTO AND the tractor down at once before lifting the tiller. Second, the guy stuck his hand in a dangerous spot even though he knew the tractor was running and without checking to make sure the PTO wasn't.

Even if the PTO was off, there could be enough wound-up torque in the mechanics to cause serious injury. Plus, he had a rake with him that he could have used to try and unjam the rock. Tragic but avoidable accident.

/ Terrible tiller accident, shut off your pto folks #4  
Sad event, but I have to agree with jml755. If either of the two people did the safe thing, this probably wouldn't have happened.

/ Terrible tiller accident, shut off your pto folks #5  
One of the many reasons I won't operate something with a PTO with anyone anywhere near the tractor. I have drilled it into everyone in my family to never approach the tractor without getting my attention and letting me take the necessary safety precautions. Also one of the reasons I love a cab with mirrors.

Very sad story indeed.

/ Terrible tiller accident, shut off your pto folks #6  
A Sad event, Neither of them were paying attention. No-one should have their arm torn off...The tractor should have been off for a jammed tiller.....It is wonder he is still alive..

/ Terrible tiller accident, shut off your pto folks #7  
Accidents will always happen with farm equipment, but most can be avoided with a respect for the danger involved.

/ Terrible tiller accident, shut off your pto folks #8  
As has been said, very sad, and very avoidable.

/ Terrible tiller accident, shut off your pto folks #9  
One of the many reasons I won't operate something with a PTO with anyone anywhere near the tractor. I have drilled it into everyone in my family to never approach the tractor without getting my attention and letting me take the necessary safety precautions. Also one of the reasons I love a cab with mirrors.

Very sad story indeed.

I don't even let my dog run when I'm operating, let alone people.

/ Terrible tiller accident, shut off your pto folks #10  
How many of us have almost done something this stupid? I remember being a kid and a neighbor reached in the chute of a lawn mower when it was running. She knew better but its something you do without thinking on the spur of the moment. She was lucky and just got cut up. Thats one reason they have all the saftey devices on mowers today, they are desgined to operate only when you are behind the mower, or in the case of a tractor, sitting in the seat.