Test drive towing?

/ Test drive towing? #1  

Sysop

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - Husqvarna TS348-D purchased 2019 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2003
Considering a new truck to increase my tow abilities enough to move my tractor around occasionally and other various towing I occasionally do I'd like a little more capacity on. What are your takes on taking a test drive and doing a short tow with the vehicle? I have a good sized load I need to move a short distance and it is a short distance from the dealer, someone suggested since I was beginning to look at the new trucks to replace my old one that I should take the opportunity to see how one of my prospective choices would perform and do a test drive to tow the load. Sounds like a good idea to know what you're getting before plunking down $40k+, and I know other testers take much longer test drives than I'm proposing.

I called the salesman at the dealer and had a chat (I've bought a few vehicles including my truck at this dealer and always talk to the same salesman), I indicated I was looking to replace my old truck to increase my towing capacity and explained the types of things I tow. I told him was finally convinced some of the newer engine tech was apparently okay as other drivers were now getting enough miles on the clock, with few enough issues it was proving in my mind to be fairly dependable. I explained that I realized according to the specs and reports, it should do everything I need; but that this being WV and not exactly matching the conditions of the tests and reports, I'd really feel more comfortable testing one to see for sure it will do all I need. He told me "Absolutely! Anytime! You just call me and tell me you're coming ahead of time and I'll have whatever you want to see pulled up front and waiting for you."

I didn't come right out and tell him that I was going to go drag a 7.5K trailer from point A to point B with about 5000# onboard during the test drive; but I did fully describe my needs and the fact I wanted to personally test it against my needs.

I have no problems moving the load otherwise if enough indicate it isn't a great idea, I just wanted some opinions on it so fire away.

/ Test drive towing? #2  
If the dealer is OK with it, I don't see why you wouldn't do it. Are the trucks you're looking at equipped to tow already (hitches, brake controllers, etc)?

My only question would be insurance. If you hook your $10k trailer with a $50k tractor on it to a vehicle on a test drive, what sort of coverage do you have if something happens?

/ Test drive towing?
I'd assume the dealer's insurance or my own would take care of the truck. The load I'm currently hauling would not be my tractor, just dirt (although the tractor has it's own policy for transport issues). And the trailer isn't $10k, only a couple grand and is covered by my insurance.

Yes most of the trucks sold locally come with the full towing package available for their model.

/ Test drive towing? #4  
I have test towed quite a few trucks.

Like others said, insurance might be a issue but to me worth the risk.

Chris

/ Test drive towing? #5  
I bought a New Duramax and in the end can't really tow a damm thing! It's just too expense to tow any sort of a load down the road occasionally, as far as registration and annual inspections go! Maybe (hopefully) things are different around there.

/ Test drive towing? #6  
I bought a New Duramax and in the end can't really tow a damm thing! It's just too expense to tow any sort of a load down the road occasionally, as far as registration and annual inspections go! Maybe (hopefully) things are different around there.

It varies state-by-state. But in Michigan, I pay registration when I get a trailer and it's permanent. So once I buy the trailer and put the plates on it, there is no recurring cost.

The cost of the plates depends on the empty weight of the trailer. 0 - 2,499 lbs is $75, 2,500 - 9,999 lbs. is $200, and 10,000 lbs. and over is $300.

/ Test drive towing? #7  
When I bought my 2001 GMC K3500 Sierra I told the salesman that if it towed my 10k lb + trailer up the local grade and performed as I thought it should, I'd buy it. We took the truck to where I kept my trailer, hooked it up and went for a drive. It performed every bit as well as I had hoped and I bought it on the spot.

Brian

/ Test drive towing?
It varies state-by-state. But in Michigan, I pay registration when I get a trailer and it's permanent. So once I buy the trailer and put the plates on it, there is no recurring cost.

The cost of the plates depends on the empty weight of the trailer. 0 - 2,499 lbs is $75, 2,500 - 9,999 lbs. is $200, and 10,000 lbs. and over is $300.

Same here except property taxes. You pay on it as long as you own it. As long as it is personal property the cost isn't that much. I can pay the taxes on a trailer for several years off what it'd cost me to have someone haul a load.

/ Test drive towing? #9  
Considering a new truck to increase my tow abilities enough to move my tractor around occasionally and other various towing I occasionally do I'd like a little more capacity on. What are your takes on taking a test drive and doing a short tow with the vehicle? I have a good sized load I need to move a short distance and it is a short distance from the dealer, someone suggested since I was beginning to look at the new trucks to replace my old one that I should take the opportunity to see how one of my prospective choices would perform and do a test drive to tow the load. Sounds like a good idea to know what you're getting before plunking down $40k+, and I know other testers take much longer test drives than I'm proposing.

I called the salesman at the dealer and had a chat (I've bought a few vehicles including my truck at this dealer and always talk to the same salesman), I indicated I was looking to replace my old truck to increase my towing capacity and explained the types of things I tow. I told him was finally convinced some of the newer engine tech was apparently okay as other drivers were now getting enough miles on the clock, with few enough issues it was proving in my mind to be fairly dependable. I explained that I realized according to the specs and reports, it should do everything I need; but that this being WV and not exactly matching the conditions of the tests and reports, I'd really feel more comfortable testing one to see for sure it will do all I need towing brownsville. He told me "Absolutely! Anytime! You just call me and tell me you're coming ahead of time and I'll have whatever you want to see pulled up front and waiting for you."

I didn't come right out and tell him that I was going to go drag a 7.5K trailer from point A to point B with about 5000# onboard during the test drive; but I did fully describe my needs and the fact I wanted to personally test it against my needs.

I have no problems moving the load otherwise if enough indicate it isn't a great idea, I just wanted some opinions on it so fire away.
Buying a truck to be a tow vehicle and nothing else, is it reasonable to ask for a test tow, rather than a test drive?

I don't really care how the truck drives while it's empty off a dealer lot, I'll never use it as a commuter vehicle, I have my station wagon for that. I want to feel how the truck drives with my tiny trailer hitched up, and especially if / how it carries my tiny trailer better than the old truck.

I'd likely ask this of the dealer I've done business with for years first, but maybe a dealer that doesn't know me from Adam as well, for comparison sake.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

/ Test drive towing? #10  
You tube offers tow tests and comparisons. I bought my wifes RAM V6 half ton in 2022 based upon those videos and the truck rides and performs as described. Used to tow a small RV over the grapevine occasionally.