Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,351  
My Osborn took me to college, being portable I carried it in the trunk of my car numerous times to help others write and print English Comp 1 papers. I was a hit with it, 9 pin Oki dot matrix printer and a ream of paper I could take it anywhere. I laugh about it being portable, it was but it looked like a sewing machine in a case because it was so large. The little 5" green screen was painful to look at but it did the job. In the 90's I was a tech junkie, I remember my wife being so angry that I spent $200 bucks on 4 megs of ram to I could run windows efficiently. I still remember many DOS commands and could probably pick it right back up. I used to have fun tweaking the Autoexec and Config files to get the most upper memory I could.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,352  
You folks are all talking about modern computers. My first one was a Radio Shack Color Computer. The first ones were only 16k but I waited until they came out with one that was 32k. My monitor was a 13" color TV, the printer used 4.5" wide roll of paper and actually had 4 tiny ball point pins doing the printing. And since you lost everything when you turned it off, I had a portable cassette player attached to save my work. It was a really big step up when I got a TRS-80 Radio Shack computer, also known as a "Trash 80" with the two 4.5" floppies. My first hard drive was about the size of the printer I'm now using and was a 5 Meg hard drive.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,353  
The first computer I had was called BS,:eek:, for Big Stone, it came with two chisels, one for large print the other for small print,, I would set all day writing out a message,, today it is called texting,, but back then it was called BSM.;).or big stone message,
We lived on a hill so it was easy to send a BSM, because the computer was round, so I would just roll BS down the hill, I don’t know if anyone ever read them cause there was no return address.. living on a hill.. all I can say is that the computer has come a long way in five years.:). Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,354  
Yep, Lou, that does sound like a lot of BS.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,355  
Don,
Fancy brick layer. I finally got it to come up. You need it from the house down to the bridge and ponds.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,356  
Brandi;

May be time to retire the 286 / DOS 3.0 computer?

Timeline of DOS operating systems - Wikipedia
No, it is a jacked up Atari system.:rolleyes: Actually it was I, not the computer. Trying to multi task too many open windows in too short a time before leaving for work.:thumbdown: I have a busy mind.:dance1:

When I bought this PC, I screwed up and bought a dual core or whatever processor. I shoulda took it back. Next one I'll get Jack to build it. What I really need updated is my laptop, or a new notebook.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,357  
The first computer I had was called BS,:eek:, for Big Stone, it came with two chisels, one for large print the other for small print,, I would set all day writing out a message,, today it is called texting,, but back then it was called BSM.;).or big stone message,
We lived on a hill so it was easy to send a BSM, because the computer was round, so I would just roll BS down the hill, I don稚 know if anyone ever read them cause there was no return address.. living on a hill.. all I can say is that the computer has come a long way in five years.:). Lou
:laughing::laughing::laughing:
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,358  
I was behind the curve when it came to computer stuff. Didn't use em in high school and couldn't understand them when got to college. It took awhile but I think I've got this iPhone down pretty good. Wife worked for state as RACF admin but learned not to talk all that stuff when she got home or I'd be staring at her like a calf looking at a new gate.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,359  
No one posted in a while.. I was thinking maybe,, just maybe, it been so cold that everyone tongue is froze to a fence post and they can get in to report the weather.. lol.. I sure I will hear about it now.. Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,360  
Around here (Denton County), it's been quite the opposite, Lou. Instead of cold, it's been very warm, trees are budding, some (not all, by any means) grass is greening up. So . . . . I've had my Mantis tiller for 9 years. Got it directly from Mantis "slightly used and refurbished". I would never have known it was used when I received it. But now it's gotten quite contrary; probably needs a carburetor. Anyway, I gave it to my grandson and told him, "If you can fix it and sell it, it's yours." And I bought a new one locally. Same basic machine and all my attachments work on the new one; edger, tiller, dethatcher. The new one has the "easy" start system that I like, and the hand grips are a new and better style.

So I spent last Wednesday dethatching and mowing the front yard, Thursday the north side of the property, had to run an errand Friday, so I finished the yard Saturday; had 8 contractor bags of clippings for the garbage men. Sunday, I mowed and trimmed the yard next door. Monday morning, I bought and spread Scotts Turf Builder for Southern Lawns.

And I was lucky enough to have my timing right. It had been more than 3 weeks since we had any rain, but today, since midnight, I've gotten about 1.56" so the fertilizer should be well watered in.