Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#8,281  
Varroa is a large problem and one that begets more troubles, Foul brood can be an issue, American, or European (pick European if yo have the choice😁). Wax moths are same as always. Hive Beetles can be a real nuisance as well, those may be new to you.

I use 8 frame Langs, figured with a bad back that was best bet for me. Some good beekeepers in and around Washington.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,283  
2 big contractor bags packed as full as I could get them.
Dang Bird:), maybe you shouldn't fertilize anymore. Our grass isn't growing yet.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#8,284  
How many do you normally lose after each winter?
hugs, Brandi
In 7 years I have never lost a hive over winter. Lost a couple small swarms early on in the 2st summer that never had a chance looking back, I had someone who supposedly knew what we where doing who did not.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,285  
In 7 years I have never lost a hive over winter. Lost a couple small swarms early on in the 2st summer that never had a chance looking back, I had someone who supposedly knew what we where doing who did not.
OUCH!
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,286  
My dad was a bee keeper, and the county bee inspector for many years.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,288  
Guss Metts was the bee inspector in Washington state back in the 70's. He's the person that got me started, he used to give free bee keeping lectures at Central Washington College, as it was called at the time, now called University, in Ellensburg. He kinda looked and sounded like a bee. At that time American and European foul broad was the big thing and like Western says, American being the one you didn't want to see in your apiary. AFB spore last at least 50 years, so if you found it, you burned the hive. Fortunately never ran into it. I helped a professional bee keeper friend out when he had bees in the area, moving them around for pollination and honey extraction.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,289  
15 days, 14 hours ... until the Vernal Equinox.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8,290  
The road going to the back of my property is starting to flare up dust behind the tractor. Hoping to get a 1/4 inch of rain on Sunday.
hugs, Brandi