Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,381  
Well jinman; 29 was a very good year. Why would I want to turn 30? :confused3:

Most of the time, I don't feel very old or worn, but after a work week like this one, I am reminded that I do have a 29th birthday yet to occur this year. I am feeling this one approach! :p :eek:

Momma said there would be weeks like that..........just not so many in a row.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#2,382  
Oh yeah, got my bull Elk, small fella, but meat in the freezer:D It was unusually green and mild for this time of year too!!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,383  
Oh yeah, got my bull Elk, small fella, but meat in the freezer:D It was unusually green and mild for this time of year too!!

A nice rack on that fellow, perfect symmetry it seems. What does an elk tag set you back these days?

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,384  
Nice one Dennis...

#2,386  
Jim, the tag is around $586, it is the fuel and "incidentals" now, that eat away at your pocket book. When I 1st started hunting Colorado, the out of state fee was around $50 or $75!! When I lived there, the resident fee was $25 (which I really liked :laughing:). He was a handful to load by myself, but lucky me he fell 17' from a access road and uphill:thumbsup: A couple of boards and I was able to "slide" him in whole, which was a 1t for me.

One good thing about going by myself, arguments with the "camp cook," didn't last long!!:laughing:

Thanks Foreman

Morning after I arrived!!:shocked:

Attachments

• 1st amsnow.JPG
    1st amsnow.JPG
    425.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,387  
Jim, the tag is around $586, it is the fuel and "incidentals" now, that eat away at your pocket book. When I 1st started hunting Colorado, the out of state fee was around $50 or $75!!

Dennis, I have a good friend who is an avid hunter. A few years ago, he and a group went on a guided elk hunt to Idaho (I think it was Idaho). Anyhow, the trip, their lodging, and his tag all came to something a little over $8k. If he had not shot an elk, it would have been only $4k. He said it was a once in a lifetime hunt, and he got a beautiful big elk with a huge trophy rack. This guy lives and breathes hunting, so for him it was all worth it.

#2,388  
Jim, my buddy just got from the Gila wilderness in New Mexico last week, he took his son on a guided trip and got a super 7x8 Bull elk that score 347 and some change.....12K.. Some trophy elk hunts in Arizona, New Mexico and a few other areas , can run up into the mid 20k:shocked:

I hunt BLM and Federal lands, so my cost are for the tag and expenses, I like big horns, but I enjoy the less stress of paying what I do:laughing: I live "hunting alo and if I had a bunch of $$$. I would "splurge" on a once in a lifetime hunt but it would be for trophy moose in the Yukon.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,389  
To the best of my knowledge, elk is one of the few meats I've never eaten. I think either I, or other family members, have hunted just about everything else, but never elk.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,390