Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3,521  
24 this morning .. Looking out I see a white blanket looks like a couple inches ... 24 appears to be the high today and looking at a record 8 degrees tonight... Be safe everybody.

Yep, 24 degrees and everything is white outside, but I don't know how deep it is. And our breezeway is 23' wide and I see that white stuff blew all the way through there. But the NWS thinks it might get up to 27 today.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3,522  
Yep, 24 degrees and everything is white outside, but I don't know how deep it is. And our breezeway is 23' wide and I see that white stuff blew all the way through there. But the NWS thinks it might get up to 27 today.

I see now we may hit 25 at or around 5 pm

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3,523  
I went out and swept off a path from the back door across the patio/breezeway into the shop and found that's snow instead of sleet.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#3,524  
24* here and supposed to be falling throughout the day. Looks like over an inch of sleet outside. 2.25" reported in Decatur.

Watching the news, it dumbfounds me why so many folks are out in this, they are stuck all over the roads:confused3:. Ft Worth has responded to over 230 accident and the day hasn't even started good yet.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3,525  
FG, JPS is as close to "real world " as you can get!! all the way to the bottom if you know what I mean. I am guessing here, but I think if this healthcare debacle stays around, NP will be in huge demand since MD's are bailing.

I am betting that you are right about NPs being in demand. JPS may not be top of the pay scale, but in terms of learning the job, it would be tops! Fast and furious. Kind of like flying around mountains, with funny wind patterns, and dealing with adverse icing in the winter up north. If one really wants to be good at their job, learning at a place where you can experience it ALL and learn from it, before moving on, is the best plan, IMO. That training will have her in a better postition to name her price in the future, and get it! One cannot get experience in a book, or even a small hospital.

And with the "winter wonderland" here, I look more like the Michelin Man going out to tend to livestock, than a girl. :eek:

Calling for 15* tonight. I am so sick of winter. Bring back the rain dancing, skinny dipping and mowing weather!

At least I still have power, and a stack of firewood. I've had the fire in the fireplace since yesterday, at 0345, and figure I'll keep it going until next weekend, if forecasts are correct.

#3,526  
OH lost power at the well last nigh for about an hr, I have one Co-op in back, then another here at the house, glad the pipes didnt freeze. I left the water on and turned the water heater off and thankfully they didnt freeze.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3,527  
I just got in from chores ... My couple inches is all rock hard solid sleet ... Door on the north end of the farrowing house was stuck shut ... Hogs are all buried deep in the straw bedding and I added more. Inside maintained 70 degrees and those piglets have no idea what's outside.

#3,528  
FG, I meant JPS being a "county " hospital sees the bottom of the economic scale frequently not a bad thing, but.........it is BUSY!!! Hey I am a little disappointed in you too:( No shorts and tank top?

BlueRiver, My SIL is supposed to have driven down here this am from FT Towson! My brother is supposed to fly in from LA and they where to meet to go on a cruise!! DFW airport has canceled over 300 flights and I haven't heard from either of them. At least your smart and staying on the farm.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3,529  
Dennis: I somehow missed telling you to convey my congratulations to your daughter. It may be a bad time for weather, but there is no such thing as a bad time to achieve your life's goals. Give her our best wishes no matter what avenue she continues to pursue. Dennis, my regular physician is an NP, and is my 2nd favorite "doctor" of all times.

Well, I slept in until 9 AM this morning. It was warm under the covers and my comforter, so why not?:D School is cancelled and I'm certainly not going out of the house today unless there is an emergency.

It seemed like a steady sleet all night long. I knew it was sleet by the music it was making on my metal roof. However our temperature overnight was 21 F and the sleet was not wet at all. With a light breeze, it cleared off of power lines and trees.:thumbsup: Sometimes, being colder is a big blessing. With the gusty winds, I'd even bet our roads are staying relatively clear. My deck has accumulated sleet of 1"-2", but the deck railing is clear. I've included a few pictures I took after dragging my lazy hiney out of bed this morning. This is all 100% sleet.:) Everybody stay safe!

6-dec-sleet-01.jpg

6-dec-sleet-02.jpg

6-dec-sleet-04.jpg

6-dec-sleet-05.jpg

Attachments

• 6-dec-sleet-03.jpg
    6-dec-sleet-03.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 66
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3,530  
:thumbsup: Aint it lovely!

Well, I didn't need the rain. I knocked off the top of the dam spoil pile from the bulkhead the day before it hit here and almost stuck the Mahindra in the damp unpacked dirt I dumped up to the bulkhead. I made a real mess. It's gonna be a long while before I can finish grade around the bulkhead, much less just finish packing the dirt in.
hugs, Brandi