Textured Street Intersections

/ Textured Street Intersections #1  

Runner

Veteran Member
Tractor
2024 Cub Cadet Ultima ZTXS5 54, 2007 John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B
Recently, our asphalt street was repaved. I noticed that after the pavement was done, they went over an intersection near our home with some type of grinding machine and applied a series of squares in a checkerboard pattern covering most of the intersection. This appears similar to the "rumble strips" they make on the edges of highways to warn you if you drift out of your lane. The carved depressions are probably 4" x 6" and maybe 1/2" deep in rows with spacing about 24" O.C. each way.

The streets are both 2 lanes, with turn lanes each direction and it is a stoplight controlled intersection.

Has anyone seen this done before in an intersection or have any idea why you would do it?

I can't see any good rationale. There are clear sightlines both directions from the intersection for at least a half mile. Once you are in the intersection, it's a little late to warn you there is an intersection there. Also, it seems that all these depressions are a good place for water to collect and freeze in the winter time and/or to collect sand/debris, all of which would make the intersection more slick.

I am baffled.

Last edited:
   / Textured Street Intersections #2  
In addition every car that passes over will make a Loud noise heard 1/2 mile away. DUMB!

/ Textured Street Intersections #3  
I see the same Grinding done on our back country state highways. I suppose it is to make you aware if you drift over the line. My complaint is when you go to pass You hit the series of depressions which actually reduces your contact/control at higher speeds.

/ Textured Street Intersections #4  
We have rumble strips at centerline and fog line on our rural 2 lane roads. You know immediately when you drift out of the lane. Very useful on foggy nights. Intersection strips not so useful.

/ Textured Street Intersections #5  
Recently, our asphalt street was repaved. I noticed that after the pavement was done, they went over an intersection near our home with some type of grinding machine and applied a series of squares in a checkerboard pattern covering most of the intersection. This appears similar to the "rumble strips" they make on the edges of highways to warn you if you drift out of your lane. The carved depressions are probably 4" x 6" and maybe 1/2" deep in rows with spacing about 24" O.C. each way.

The streets are both 2 lanes, with turn lanes each direction and it is a stoplight controlled intersection.

Has anyone seen this done before in an intersection or have any idea why you would do it?

I can't see any good rationale. There are clear sightlines both directions from the intersection for at least a half mile. Once you are in the intersection, it's a little late to warn you there is an intersection there. Also, it seems that all these depressions are a good place for water to collect and freeze in the winter time and/or to collect sand/debris, all of which would make the intersection more slick.

I am baffled.
Interesting. Got a picture?

/ Textured Street Intersections #6  
Could there have been a thermoplastic stripping problem that needed ground or hydroblasted off? What speed limit are we talking about? Typically you wouldn't have ground in rumble strips in anything less than 55mph. A picture would help, or a GEarth imagine if it is updated recently enough to show.

It could also be a design intended to slow traffic in/near pedestrian crossings. I had a friend that works for a small company that did decorative thermoplastic, often in busy tourist area intersections; like a dolphin or palm tree, or whatever, basically a thermoplastic mural. We where talking at Scouts about the business, and it is basically a competitor to brick pavers. I told him, brick pavers look good, but they are expensive, ride like crap, dont last, and are high maintenance, even to the point of being hazardous, as well as hard to get them ADA complaint. He told me I should be a salesman for them...

Last edited:
   / Textured Street Intersections #7  
See MoDot 626.4; Transverse Rubble Strips; recommended to be placed as advanced warning for Stop Ahead or Various Cruve signs. MUTCD W3-1 and W1 signs. Also recommend for intersections with poor visibility due to vertical curves (hills) or a history of accidents.

/ Textured Street Intersections #8  
I did glance at the MoDOT standard plans for stripping, intersections, and ground in rumble strips; and it appears the Rubble strips should stop approx 50 ft before the intersection; so this very well could be what is called a 'test section' where they are trying a not standard design. If I had to guess, this would be used at/near a high speed intersection, in a high pedestrian area; near school/shopping/hosiptal/park/ect

/ Textured Street Intersections #9  
When I worked for a localish County public works department, we had several no-standard designs; such as divided double yellow center line, with triple RPMs in the center, and RPMs on the outside of the double yellow; mostly high speed rural roadways, where you entered an sharp curve.

/ Textured Street Intersections
Could there have been a thermoplastic stripping problem that needed ground or hydroblasted off? What speed limit are we talking about? Typically you wouldn't have ground in rumble strips in anything less than 55mph. A picture would help, or a GEarth imagine if it is updated recently enough to show.

It could also be a design intended to slow traffic in/near pedestrian crossings. I had a friend that works for a small company that did decorative thermoplastic, often in busy tourist area intersections; like a dolphin or palm tree, or whatever, basically a thermoplastic mural. We where talking at Scouts about the business, and it is basically a competitor to brick pavers. I told him, brick pavers look good, but they are expensive, ride like crap, dont last, and are high maintenance, even to the point of being hazardous, as well as hard to get them ADA complaint. He told me I should be a salesman for them...
Speed limits on the streets involved are 40 and 45.

Nothing was stripped off the street, this was done to brand new asphalt.

No sidewalks on either street. Basically a rural/residential area with some local business uses on the corners: gas station, strip retail, coffee shop and church.

I will try to get a picture soon.

Last edited: