Thanks for helping me get this :)

/ Thanks for helping me get this :) #31  
Congrats; very nice find and I'm sure you will love it.

I know this is almost heresy to advocate this on this site, but I would not get a third function to operate a grapple because you have no reliable way to feather the operation of the grapple. Instead I'd use the rear remotes which are controlled by a real valve.

I spent the money to put a third function on my 4060, used it for one day and went back to using the rear remotes like I had on all of my previous tractors. I even tried using a flow control valve on the third function, but that didn't work either.

My grapple is part of my pallet forks and I use it to secure loads as well as a way to hold brush and logs on the forks. As such I need to be able to softly open/close the grapple to hold what is occasionally a pretty fragile load or to slowly release a log into the dump trailer. The fast action of the third function just didn't do that for me.

Just my $.02 based on my experience.

Tractor grapples really are made for fine control. If you want that you need an excavator.

So you have a separate lever for controlling the grapple open/close instead of the buttons on the loader joystick, or did you rig something else to work?

No way I would use a rear remote for my grapple ....but to each his own!

/ Thanks for helping me get this :) #32  
Awesome Tractor you have there!
Not sure if you plan to buy new or used on the Tiller, just a heads up if you plan to buy new.
I ordered my tiller (for next spring) from Rural King 10-8-21
its expected delivery date (to local store) is 12-31-21 - 01-28-22.

Mike

/ Thanks for helping me get this :) #33  
Tractor grapples really are made for fine control. If you want that you need an excavator.

So you have a separate lever for controlling the grapple open/close instead of the buttons on the loader joystick, or did you rig something else to work?

No way I would use a rear remote for my grapple ....but to each his own!
I'm losing your intent with that first sentence. Huh ?

As for using the rear remote, I operate my grapple that way all the time. It has become one of the most-used tools on the tractor. I know of no reason not to operate the grapple that way, but as you say that's just me. For the OP, I think it's mainly a question of whether he has plenty of remotes on his new-found gem of a tractor.

/ Thanks for helping me get this :) #34  
I'm losing your intent with that first sentence. Huh ?

As for using the rear remote, I operate my grapple that way all the time. It has become one of the most-used tools on the tractor. I know of no reason not to operate the grapple that way, but as you say that's just me. For the OP, I think it's mainly a question of whether he has plenty of remotes on his new-found gem of a tractor.

My intent…even with the M62 which has factory plumbed 3rd function it still doesn’t allow for fine control…say picking up an egg without breaking it Or picking up something heavier you dont want to shatter into pieces. It is hard to pickup a pile of dead limbs without breaking them into pieces…no such issue with the backhoe. You can do that with a real backhoe, or an excavator. Thats what I meant. Maybe you can do that if you are using a rear remote to control it…but at what cost?

May I ask how you are operating the grapple with the rear remote? Is it via the normal valve control stick you use to actuate any other implement on the rear remotes or did you setup something different?

/ Thanks for helping me get this :) #35  
I operate the grapple using the remote valve control used to actuate any other attachment. Maybe I'm just not too particular with fine control.

/ Thanks for helping me get this :) #36  
I operate the grapple using the remote valve control used to actuate any other attachment. Maybe I'm just not too particular with fine control.
I’m not either…its for grabbing stuff you usually dont care about breaking after all!

So you have to take your right hand off of the loader joystick to actuate the grapple claw with the rear remote Control lever?

/ Thanks for helping me get this :) #37  
Yes. I do have to move the right hand back and forth between controls but that is just a second or so time wise and you can't do two things concurrently with open center hydraulics anyway (such as close a grapple while raising the loader) so I'm only out a second or so per move. For sure it would be a luxury to have all that on the joystick with just a button to go back and forth between modes of the joystick.

Not that you want to hear it , but ... I had a boat lift accident which tore my right shoulder pretty much completely apart 2yrs ago and resulted in a reverse right shoulder replacement... so moving the right hand around from joystick to remote lever, etc. has been both a challenge and good exercise for my shoulder. In the early days I couldn't get the hand up on the joystick without left hand assist but I can now. Good long-term rehab I suppose. Lot of nerve damage made the surgery less than fully successful.

/ Thanks for helping me get this :) #38  
Thanks for your input. I don't need to to a lot of work fast and would much prefer to be able to finess the grapple.
You can do several things. One is use the rear remote as suggested or you can go with a diverter vs a true third function. That would let you push a button and use your curl or lift of you bucket to move the grapple. Then just release the button and your loader works normal.

I changed out my loader valve with a three spool valve so I could feather the grapple on my Kioti. On the Branson I have a true third function and to be honest I do not mind either. They both work well for me.

/ Thanks for helping me get this :)
I think for now I'll go with a true third function for the grapple. If I decide I need something different I can always set that up later.

@mike0000, I think I need to think about getting the tiller and maybe a coiuple other things ordered now so I have them this summer.

/ Thanks for helping me get this :) #40  
Yes. I do have to move the right hand back and forth between controls but that is just a second or so time wise and you can't do two things concurrently with open center hydraulics anyway (such as close a grapple while raising the loader) so I'm only out a second or so per move. For sure it would be a luxury to have all that on the joystick with just a button to go back and forth between modes of the joystick.

Not that you want to hear it , but ... I had a boat lift accident which tore my right shoulder pretty much completely apart 2yrs ago and resulted in a reverse right shoulder replacement... so moving the right hand around from joystick to remote lever, etc. has been both a challenge and good exercise for my shoulder. In the early days I couldn't get the hand up on the joystick without left hand assist but I can now. Good long-term rehab I suppose. Lot of nerve damage made the surgery less than fully successful.
On the M62 you can do both at once. Guess I am spoiled lol. Glad to hear your setup has forced some tractor time physical therapy! I wish you healthy tractoring Sir!