THD Oil Question.

/ THD Oil Question. #1  

Texasmark

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford: '88 3910 Series II, '65 3000; '07 6530C Branson with FEL, 2020 LS MT225S. All Diesels
Was in Attwoods Farm Store yesterday and they had a couple of pallets of TDH by Harvest King, PREMIUM rated on both. Both had every conceivable Brand of tractor and every possible TDH spec they ever produced....seemingly, 5 gallon buckets and they weren't listed insingle line items. Rather they were a continuous listing separated by punctuation marks. It covered 70% of the rear of the tub and was in letters about ⅛" tall. Never saw that many references on an oil container before.

Listings were identical on both cans except for these additions:
One said that GM Allison had ceased to list C4 (as I recall.....something 4 grade) for it's transmissions and gave no explanation. It was $35.
The other can said "Formulated for Multi-Track and most all applications, didn't include the above notation and was $40.

Question here is, what specifically is the Multi-Track application?

/ THD Oil Question.
Okaye. Anybody buy and use Harvest King THD (Transmission, Hydraulics, Differential) fluid?

/ THD Oil Question. #3  
Manufactures set the specs for hydraulic oil. Theres no standards like motor oil. With that being said i currently have the cheapest hyd oil walmart has in my tractor $30 for 5gal, its better than the milky junk it had before.

The other tractors tranny is so water logged at 5* i could get the old ford 851 with 5spd to move.

I guess it really depends on what your going to put it in and how much you care about that machine. Either way if it does funky stuff after you change it i would use what the manufacture specs. If your system is water logged any of the cheap oils are good for a first flush.

/ THD Oil Question.
Manufactures set the specs for hydraulic oil. Theres no standards like motor oil. With that being said i currently have the cheapest hyd oil walmart has in my tractor $30 for 5gal, its better than the milky junk it had before.

The other tractors tranny is so water logged at 5* i could get the old ford 851 with 5spd to move.

I guess it really depends on what your going to put it in and how much you care about that machine. Either way if it does funky stuff after you change it i would use what the manufacture specs. If your system is water logged any of the cheap oils are good for a first flush.

My 2 old fords aren't picky. The newer one has wet brakes needing a fluid for such. The new ones have hydro steering and wet brakes and the big one also has hydro shuttle shifting and they need Premium fluid....per the owner's manual.

/ THD Oil Question. #5  
Def worth the extra price for the right fluid with wet clutches.

/ THD Oil Question. #6  
All the tractor manufacturers want you to use their fluid. I had a hyd line burst . I replaced the line.
Now which fluid can I use without using McCormick THD ??

I called chevron tec support, and they tell me they have a fluid that meets specs.
I buy the fluid $75.00 for 5 gallons. I get it home only to find out that whats listed on the bucket is also listed on a 5 gallon bucket of travelers (TSC @ $35.00) neither bucket state compatible with McCormick fluid

I used it anyway.
Next time, I'll just buy TSC with the same specs as the chevron fluid for 1/2 the price as the chevron fluid

/ THD Oil Question. #7  
They can almost state anything on a bucket of hydraulic oil. There is no standard or standard tests for hydraulic oil like there is for engine oil.

/ THD Oil Question.
All the tractor manufacturers want you to use their fluid. I had a hyd line burst . I replaced the line.
Now which fluid can I use without using McCormick THD ??

I called chevron tec support, and they tell me they have a fluid that meets specs.
I buy the fluid $75.00 for 5 gallons. I get it home only to find out that whats listed on the bucket is also listed on a 5 gallon bucket of travelers (TSC @ $35.00) neither bucket state compatible with McCormick fluid

I used it anyway.
Next time, I'll just buy TSC with the same specs as the chevron fluid for 1/2 the price as the chevron fluid
Branson owner's manual recommends Texaco or Chevron...that doesn't sound like Branson oil. I know of no oil with their name on the container.