The Burn

/ The Burn #1  

Pine Strip

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B-3000
Every year we do a burn of tree trimmings from the previous season. Great time for a wiener roast. :fiery:

DSCN9759.jpg
DSCN9756.jpg
DSCN9755.jpg

/ The Burn #2  
The summer burn ban went into effect on 01MAy here, and I've got a bunch of stuff that I didn't get to on my first and only burn this Spring.

/ The Burn
I've had a fire get away from my control once ......Never Again ! I'm OK with the rules

/ The Burn #4  
I've a love/hate relationship with burn piles. I love getting rid of the debris and reclaiming the land underneath, but I hate the "point of no return" feeling once it gets roaring and there's literally nothing I can, short of calling the fire department, do to put it out. With all the wildfire activity we've had out here in the west over the last few years, it's a heart pounding moment.
NBFire11-3.jpg
We cleared about 8 acres of manzanita, scrub oak, and poison oak in 2012, accumulating almost Greyhound bus size piles of wood. These were scattered on hilly ground, usually within 20 or 30 feet of trees that were left standing. Never wanted to burn those trees down, so most of the burning was done in the winter, on very calm days, usually after a little rain. Even so I lost a couple of trees that got too singed to recover, or that were weakened and blew down the following winter. I'm now down to just three piles, and I'm pulling the trees out one by one and chunking them up into firewood. The smaller piles of resulting slash are still exciting to burn, but at least I can keep them under control with the garden hose, and now I'll be keeping the house warm as well.

/ The Burn #5  
I really like roasted wieners. Around here it's hard to find good hot dogs anymore though. Brats are still reasonably good.

/ The Burn #6  
We have a meat place nearby which sells the best hot dogs I've ever had, Pearls was the brand I think. Got a pile to grill for the neighbors this afternoon. As far as burn piles, no restrictions in Saratoga County this month as we have had plenty of rain. My burn piles are more VW bug sized then greyhound bus sized since I'm doing all the cutting and dragging by hand (Sthil brush cutter with a forester blade mainly).

/ The Burn #7  
Fear of loosing control of a burn is why I got the bigger Wally chipper. And the fact that the burn season gets shorter each year. Yes, Sjmarbu, almost loosing control of a burn can really put the fear of God into a person. I too, had an occurrence like that and never want that again.

/ The Burn #8  
Re: The Burn------ Dead tree caught fire!!!

I have burned many brush piles over the last 30 years, so this was a surprise to me.

The pile, not very big, but dead wood and some cedar.
P5060004.JPG P5060006.JPG

Started it with some old diesel fuel.
P5060011.JPG P5060015.JPG

Looked over and saw smoke rising from a dead tree 150 feet away! :eek:
P5060017.JPG P5060021.JPG

Called the fire department because burning bark was falling down into the grass and leaves on the hillside at the base of the tree. Pushed it over later and set it on the other side of the driveway.
The Fire Chief said it was the radiant heat from the fire that started it burning! :shocked:
P5060097.JPG P5100009.JPG

/ The Burn #9  
I agree about the dangers of burning. However, I really have little choice. So, I have 6 separate burn piles. I make sure the piles don't get too large before burning. At least then I feel like I have some control.

Be safe.

MoKelly

/ The Burn #10  
Burning is sometimes easier when there is fencing attached to trees and posts etc that you don't want to send though your chipper. But I know in my area it may come to be a thing of the past as air quality rules keep getting tighter. With little rain and few to no burn days this winter, I only had 1 burn day that I wasn't working to get rid of what I had. I don't build too big of pile but it becomes an all day affair to keep feeding a burn and then supposed to have it out at dark!