The correct way to check oil level

/ The correct way to check oil level #1  

weeder

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 425 lawn tractor
Hello everyone, was wondering what the correct way is to check the transaxle oil level in a 1997 425? I've heard to screw the dipstick all the way down and I've heard to just let it sit on top of the threads? So thought somebody could clarify this for me?

Thks weeder

/ The correct way to check oil level #2  
As long as the level is above the min line you're fine. Screwed in, it should be near the max, sitting on the top of the threads is should be above the min line. It's not an exact science.

/ The correct way to check oil level #3  
Manual says to check without screwing the dipstick back in, just rest on the threads.

Either works, just one shows a tad bit more oil than the other. If no oil leaks, no worry.

Attachments

• Tranny_dipstick.jpg
    Tranny_dipstick.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 74
   / The correct way to check oil level
Ok thanks a bunch

/ The correct way to check oil level #5  
Where it will come into major play is if mowing on slopes. that little difference in oil level can turn your normal operate at 25 degrees into a 20 degree operating angle and cause engine failure.

And most of the Kawasaki engines that I work on say do not thread to check oil right on the dipstick..

/ The correct way to check oil level #6  
Randy, meaning tranny failure?

/ The correct way to check oil level #7  
No I mean engine failure. The difference in oil level from full to add can make a fair change in the allowable angle to safety operate the engine on slopes without causing lack of lubrication failure. Not as critical on full flow lube engines, but can cause big issues on splash lube engines.

/ The correct way to check oil level
I have no slopes or hills just flat ground

/ The correct way to check oil level #10  
The question w
No I mean engine failure. The difference in oil level from full to add can make a fair change in the allowable angle to safety operate the engine on slopes without causing lack of lubrication failure. Not as critical on full flow lube engines, but can cause big issues on splash lube engines.
OP question was the tranny oil level, not the engine. But engine is important too, when negotiating hills. Also, the JD 425 Kawasaki not a splash-lube system, I don't think.