The day the music died.

/ The day the music died. #1,201  
Lost a distant relative who was in the music business.

Keith Gattis was a singer, song writer, producer in Nashville. Born in Georgetown, Texas, started performing in the Austin area before moving to Nashville. Had a couple of well received albums and had some song writing success with country artists Kenny Chesney and George Strait charting a couple songs.

Reason for posting is that he died from a tractor rollover. Don't know details.

Only 52, left a wife and two children.

/ The day the music died. #1,209  
Been watching Gordon Lightfoot vid's on YouTube the last few days. What an amazing musician. Everything, from arrangement, lyrics, performance, all at the lead of the pack. I put him in the rarified class of the likes of Ian Anderson, founder, composer, and sole continuous member of Jethro Tull.

Meanwhile, the Bing and Yahoo news feeds are constantly bombarding me with news of Tim Bachmann's passing. Hey, I enjoy driving to BTO as much as anyone, but they're hardly in the same class of musicianship as Lightfoot. This treatment on the news sadly reminded me of when Robbie Bachmann and Jeff Beck passed in the same week, a few months back.

I must've stirred the YouTube algorithm just right to bring up an interesting tribute to one of my all-time favorites last night, John Wetton. You may not know the name, if you're not a musician, but you certainly know his music. He's most famous for his work in Asia, but I was always a much bigger fan of his work with King Crimson. Eric Clapton was always praising Wetton, apparently one of his favorite musicians to work with, and many others seemed to share that opinion.

I'm not finding the video I watched last night, which was probably a little long for non-fans anyway, here's a shorter and quicker intro to the man and his work:

Last edited: