The day the music died.

/ The day the music died. #1,161  
Children and their parents seldom seem to like the same kind of music. It must be a rule.
It is not always the case. I listen to a lot of 50s, 60s, and 70s music on you tube. I'm surprised to see how many of the comments are about how younger people were introduced to this music by their parents or how this old music brings fond memories of their parents.

/ The day the music died. #1,162  
Should maybe post this in the 'know' thread but I'm not sure if it still holds true but Ian Anderson is/was the largest land owner in Scotland...he is a nature lover and conservationist...!
Jethro Tull was an 18th century agriculturist. When the band was starting out they would get booked under a different name every night.
Tull was the name they used the first time they were asked to return, so it stuck.

/ The day the music died. #1,163  
Jethro Tull the author wrote several books on horse breeding, growing vegetation, ways to increase vineyard yields etc. Interesting coincidence that another post stated Ian Anderson aka Jethro Tull was a conservationist and large land owner in Scotland.

/ The day the music died. #1,164  
I was thinking the same, but JB was more a musician's musician, and BTO is the everyman's band. I mentioned to my wife the other day that Beck had passed, and she said "who?"

The pop world was also too quiet when we lost Chris Squire, John Wetton, and even Keith Emerson. Peart was one of the few of that crowd that almost got the wider recognition he deserved.

There's a funny story about JB from one of the members of Pink Floyd. It's been a long while since I heard it, so I forget the details, but basically they had wanted to ask him to join them when they had lost Syd Barrett. But they thought he was too good for them, and so they were afraid to ask him! :ROFLMAO:
Came across this vid about Beck and his collection (hot rod) this weekend....

...... might have been in Part 2, but he recounts cracking up one of his cars coming back from Clapton's place "late one night :cool: ".... closing-radius curves get car drivers too....

3 chord rock was what BTO was known for (and mostly played) - accessible and radio friendly in The Day. Lisa Marie reminded me of a story Randy recounted...... Takin' Care of Business caught The King's ear, so he had a few rings made up for his inner circle : TCB . Randy offered to buy one years ago, but AFAIK hasn't yet.....

Famous people pass every year, but I think why it's tougher on us with musicians is they provide the soundtracks to our youth and other eras....... I was used to Rush being legend in Canada, but it took me traveling in the USA in the 90's to get a feel for how popular they were south of the 49'th..... always liked that they often took their bikes on tour...... ride your asses off, traveling the world, making music..... a Carpe Diem lesson right there....

Rgds, D.

/ The day the music died. #1,165  
Jethro Tull was an 18th century agriculturist. When the band was starting out they would get booked under a different name every night.
Tull was the name they used the first time they were asked to return, so it stuck.
Same back-story I had heard, years ago. One of the greatest and most under-recognized bands of all time, IMO.

/ The day the music died. #1,166  
It is not always the case. I listen to a lot of 50s, 60s, and 70s music on you tube. I'm surprised to see how many of the comments are about how younger people were introduced to this music by their parents or how this old music brings fond memories of their parents.
Rules like the one I suggested are very difficult to enforce.😉

/ The day the music died. #1,167  
Came across this vid about Beck and his collection (hot rod) this weekend....

...... might have been in Part 2, but he recounts cracking up one of his cars coming back from Clapton's place "late one night :cool: ".... closing-radius curves get car drivers too....

3 chord rock was what BTO was known for (and mostly played) - accessible and radio friendly in The Day. Lisa Marie reminded me of a story Randy recounted...... Takin' Care of Business caught The King's ear, so he had a few rings made up for his inner circle : TCB . Randy offered to buy one years ago, but AFAIK hasn't yet.....

Famous people pass every year, but I think why it's tougher on us with musicians is they provide the soundtracks to our youth and other eras....... I was used to Rush being legend in Canada, but it took me traveling in the USA in the 90's to get a feel for how popular they were south of the 49'th..... always liked that they often took their bikes on tour...... ride your asses off, traveling the world, making music..... a Carpe Diem lesson right there....

Rgds, D.

Interesting note on TCB. The piano was on the record was played by a pizza delivery guy that was making via delivery, and convinced them it needed it.

/ The day the music died. #1,168  
Neat video

/ The day the music died. #1,169  
I never cared for the music my parents listened to ... until one day when I was around 30, I heard Frank Sinatra singing Fly Me To The Moon, noted what a magnificent voice he had (which I always knew anyway), and started delving deeper into his music. Been a huge fan ever since. It kind of weirds out my hard rock / heavy metal friends a little, but I don't care. They also don't appreciate my love of classical and baroque era music. So it goes.
It doesnt weird me out one bit, I am a metalhead my fav band is Megadeth but I appreciate Sinatra especially his more jazzy stuff. But I always felt Dean Martin had a better singing voice, velvety and like liquid gold only Frank had better material.

/ The day the music died. #1,170  
Just watched a special on Dean Martin on TCM Very interesting a man that played to his own drum. I didn't know the whole drunk thing was an act.