The high cost of cutting grass

/ The high cost of cutting grass #61  
A corgi’s skull matches a stomping moose’s hoof to a “T”. 1750 lbs vs 40?
Don't worry, I have trained the moose not to stomp on a corgi's skull...they come by the cabin each morning to say hello now.

20190817_080552.jpg

20190817_080605.jpg

20190817_080627.jpg

/ The high cost of cutting grass #62  
Any suggestions on good use for 8-10 acres of prairie grass that doesn't involve winter chores? I normally just let a neighbor graze his sheep here in the summer, since I don't want to deal with them in the winter. Not much can fend for itself in our winters and I'm not a fan of chopping ice, filling water buckets, and dropping feed in the bitter cold before heading to town for the day job. The evenings are even that bad, but the mornings drag on me. I agree that it's wasteful to just let it rot.
I have 45 acres and one horse. About 30 of it is grassland. My place was choked with weeds when I bought it three years ago. One bout of spraying along with mowing with a bush hog twice a year has kept it in pretty good shape for the hoards of deer we have around here. I sure don't mow it twice a week, nor does it cause me winter chores. I have thought about renting it as pasture, but haven't done it yet for various reasons.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #64  
Seems like her in Eastern Washington, wherever there are rocks for the snakes to sun on, there are snakes. No rocks, no snakes. (Not totally true but mostly true). We only have rattle snakes, garter snakes and bull snakes. Snakes don't bother me much. I respect them and just leave them alone if I see one. I don't feel compelled to kill them like some people. The last thing they really want to do is bite you and waste their venom on something they can't eat.
I just kill rattlesnakes around the house and outbuildings. They are especially dangerous to dogs.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #65  
Why panic and say 5.00 per gallon, why not 8, 10, 12?
Not sure where you are going with this, but $5 a gallon is a near reality in parts of California. Quick look at Gas Buddy showed an average price of $4.93 near the Bay Area. It will crest $5 very soon as the disruptions in supply worsen due to the situation in Eastern Europe. Even if the US took rational action to increase domestic production, it will take months to ramp back up.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #66  
Not sure where you are going with this, but $5 a gallon is a near reality in parts of California. Quick look at Gas Buddy showed an average price of $4.93 near the Bay Area. It will crest $5 very soon as the disruptions in supply worsen due to the situation in Eastern Europe. Even if the US took rational action to increase domestic production, it will take months to ramp back up.
We had the same rhetoric not long ago in the US. Quite a few were always trying to compare US prices to European. How about the southern tier? Gas in Venezuela is 0.12, Riyadh is 0.91. Figure it out, who is screwing who?

/ The high cost of cutting grass #67  
The oil industry knows full well that these high oil prices will only spur on the alternative energy movement. Allowing high prices to continue will only hasten their demise.

Yes, most oil companies are diversifying, but many still rely on oil for the majority of their profits.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #68  
We had the same rhetoric not long ago in the US. Quite a few were always trying to compare US prices to European. How about the southern tier? Gas in Venezuela is 0.12, Riyadh is 0.91. Figure it out, who is screwing who?
Meh. I don't care about comparing with other countries. Too many variables. Gas prices are a good indicator for prices in general. Since most goods are directly affected by gas prices, they do a reasonable job of pointing at inflation. The actual 'price' is only relevant in context. (In relation to historical prices and regional economics) I had to explain this to a student the other day who thought things were horrible in the 50s because the minimum wage was only 75 cents...she didn't process the fact that a new car was $1500 and a new house was $8000.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #69  
Meh. I don't care about comparing with other countries. Too many variables. Gas prices are a good indicator for prices in general. Since most goods are directly affected by gas prices, they do a reasonable job of pointing at inflation. The actual 'price' is only relevant in context. (In relation to historical prices and regional economics) I had to explain this to a student the other day who thought things were horrible in the 50s because the minimum wage was only 75 cents...she didn't process the fact that a new car was $1500 and a new house was $8000.
Then why compare Ca to Texas? Ca has written rules quite different than some of the other states.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #70  
Then why compare Ca to Texas? Ca has written rules quite different than some of the other states.
I only compare Texas to California as a cautionary tale. The poster used a $5 example and it is a near reality in at least one state. Most of the difference is in gas tax.

The US is too big and diverse for national policy yet people want Washington to make them anyway. Very few policies make sense at the national level as the cost of living varies wildly among the states.