The Incredible Shrinking Package

/ The Incredible Shrinking Package #11  
Ustacould find most everything in packages of uniform unit sizes, quarts, gallons, pounds, etc.

Then they started half units, pints instead of quarts. Strawberries and blueberries were in quarts or pints. Now I see blueberries in 6 ounce packages. Corn was always priced by the dozen. Then came half dozens. Now I see it priced by the ear. Bananas, peaches oranges and apples are priced individually in some places.

Canned and jarred groceries are in 30 ounce units instead of 32, or 15 ounce instead of 16. Soups are 10-3/4 ounces. Really?

Eggs in half dozens?

Some cheeses are in 6 ounce packages or smaller. I've seen 4 ounce packages.

I'm sure y'all can come up with a whole lot more examples.

The one I remember is the sudden, unannounced AFAIK the increase in the size of a paper towel, from a square sheet to a rectangle but the price of the roll remained the same. Brilliant, get the consumer to use a bigger sheet and we sell more the same size roll but it only lasts 2/3 as long.

I mentioned it on several forums. My solution was to cut every sheet in half rsulting in my getting about 1/8 more use out of each roll = less money per sheet....Then they came up with the "choice", perforated the retangular sheet in half also. At least it saves me the time to cut full sheets now.

/ The Incredible Shrinking Package #12  
Then they started half units, pints instead of quarts. Strawberries and blueberries were in quarts or pints. Now I see blueberries in 6 ounce packages. Corn was always priced by the dozen. Then came half dozens. Now I see it priced by the ear. Bananas, peaches oranges and apples are priced individually in some places.

Canned and jarred groceries are in 30 ounce units instead of 32, or 15 ounce instead of 16. Soups are 10-3/4 ounces. Really?

Eggs in half dozens?

Have you checked out tuna fish lately? It doesn't seem like all that long ago that it came in 7oz cans, now it's down to 5. Also, instead of one large piece in the can now it's a bunch of shreds and probably 40% water.

Some stuff, packages dropping an ounce or so are mostly to maintain price, not many people look closely or calculate unit price. What really gets confusing is when stores use different unit prices for similar products...I'll use sliced cheese as an example...2 packages, different brands, one unit price is $/lb, a competing brand is $/dozen slices. Sure makes it hard to comparison shop.

Produce has always been oddly priced...even in the same store some items are each, others by the pound. As far as corn goes, I've only ever seen it priced each or by the dozen.

I wish they'd sold eggs by the half dozen when I was single. I don't like them, and they don't particularly agree with me but sometimes you need one or two in a recipe. Hate to have to buy a dozen and have to throw 10 away a year later because they went bad.

Last edited:
   / The Incredible Shrinking Package #13  
Some years ago spirits went from 750ml to 700ml but the price didn't change, Euro beers come in 330ml and our locals are creeping down from 375ml to 345ml and I suppose they will be 330ml soon.
Speciality cheeses and suchlike are always quoted at the kilo price then the weight and price is on the individual labels, with metric it is quick and easy to work out although block cheese comes in packs of 250g, 500g and 1kg.
Egg cartons are 1 dozen but have a division in the centre so you can break off six easily, there are also 36 trays which are quite popular if you like that many.
Chickens come in metric sizes number 1, 1.5, 2 etc which is the Kg weight.
Cigarettes (I don't smoke) come in 20, 25, 30 and 50 and start at about $30+ a pack of 20 (A good reason not to smoke).
Chocolate bars are shrinking in weight but not price.
Coke can are available at around $20 for 24, Pepsi about $12, why the difference I have no idea and I don't like coke but have the odd pepsi.
My tax has never shrunk, be nice if it did, same for fuel.

/ The Incredible Shrinking Package
Has anybody noticed that some packages appear to be the same size and fit ion the same places on your shelves, but suddenly have odd sized detents in the bottom? They want the containers to appear full and seem the same size, so they push the bottom up another inch inside to reduce to volume.

I got some coffee that was something like 29.5 ounces though the blowmolded package looked the same as the 36 ounce cans next to it from the front. Then you saw the back half pushed in for a grab handle.

Egg cartons are 1 dozen but have a division in the centre so you can break off six easily, there are also 36 trays which are quite popular if you like that many.

But they calculate out to almost eggsactly ... err ... exactly the same price per egg. Ustabe that if you bought a quantity, you got a better price per unit. Buying 18 or 36 should work out better than buying 6.

Candy you mentioned ..... notice all the extra space around each piece now in the assortments?

I don't remember the items details now, but I remember pricing something in a big box store (might have been lightbulbs, not sure) where buying a case of six cost MORE than buying six identical individual items.

/ The Incredible Shrinking Package #17  
We do a lot of shopping at the Marine Commissary. All the items on the shelf have an electronic price display below them and a cost per oz/count for each item. Makes it easy to compare value.

I’m guessing that the price display is Bluetooth or similar and can be computer controlled.

/ The Incredible Shrinking Package #18  
Anyone notice that the toilet paper rolls are getting shorter, just look at all the extra space on the sides of the roll when you put it in your holder. :confused3:

/ The Incredible Shrinking Package #19  
^^^^^

You need to listen to Sheryl Crow, and only use one sheet per visit. :thumbdown:

/ The Incredible Shrinking Package #20  
Remember when the Buck was worth value of a dollar and now takes almost 14 to have the same value.