The lawn tractor project

/ The lawn tractor project #1  

Johndeere3720

Padawan Tractor Learner, Advertiser
Tractor
Bobcat T62, MT55, E42R, E10, John Deere 4100
Well, It was now I think 2 weeks ago on Tuesday??? that I bought myself 2 small lawn tractors to mess with. I got the 3 for $20 and that also included a 36" mower deck and a small tiller. I got a Simplicity 738 (nice paint), and Allis Chalmers 610 (really tight and nick named "Allison"), and a Simplicity 5008 (rusty and in very sad shape, became a parts unit). Now that I finally had a small "junk yard" for once (always dreamed of having one :D) I started to make the project into something. The 610 was chosen as the first one to get worked on, so i have been focusing on it for the most part. The 5008 however, began it's journey to disassembly. So as I like to know what I am getting into, the 5008 was up first. I took it apart alright, pulled off the transmission with the help of my Yanmar, a chain, and a stump in the yard. ;):D I can say that was kinda fun to do.:D:laughing: Yesterday I completely got it tore down to the frame, pulled off the engine, the fuel tank had 20+ year old gas in it that I poured out into a bucket, got it in multiple pieces right now. :p But now that I know what these lawn tractors are made of, I know this wont be to hard of a project. Today I picked up a new battery for my 610, I need to get a wiring diagram for it because I Had to salvage the one from my 5008 since I lacked the ignition switch and it's wiring components. They all turn over, the engine from the 5008 has been on it's side though, so I am not sure if it is good, i may have to rebuild it. The carbs are in need of some cleaning on the 5008 engine and the 610, is there any advice on that? I have never done it before. I am learning a lot though, it is a great experience, and can almost guarantee more questions, it's part of the learning experience. I posted a few pictures for y'all, so enjoy!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    919.9 KB · Views: 431
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    904.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    896.9 KB · Views: 258
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    908.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    913.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 080.JPG
    080.JPG
    918.5 KB · Views: 271
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    902.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    914 KB · Views: 223
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    922 KB · Views: 167
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    909.6 KB · Views: 290
   / The lawn tractor project #2  
Looks like you got a good project going there and something I have and aversion to, WORK. :D

/ The lawn tractor project
Looks like you got a good project going there and something I have and aversion to, WORK. :D

It is only one of my projects too. :laughing:

Seems like the season, Jake.

Got my own project going. Waiting on parts. Maybe Wednesday? I'll pick up the thread at that time.

So, what's your plan for the Simplicity? Cherry restore or just functional?

I think just functional right now. It could change, but I am more concerned on getting them running before I do anything else.

/ The lawn tractor project #6  
carbs are easy, just open it up (Remember where every piece went) and wash it all down with carb cleaner, and clean the jets with something like a pin, and just put it back together the same way you took it apart.

carbs are easy, just open it up (Remember where every piece went) and wash it all down with carb cleaner, and clean the jets with something like a pin, and just put it back together the same way you took it apart.

Sounds pretty straight forward. :thumbsup: