The more I look.....

/ The more I look..... #1  

RIRICH

....... Tthe more I wonder. Here's the situation. Need a Loader/Backhoe. Like to stay on the narrow side, 48" bucket, 12-13IN Hhoe, HSTD, 4WD. Will be used: digging up an oil tank, stump removal, grading/leveling, ripping up ashpalt, ditributing stone. Will be used in conjuction with a F-350 dump 70" high. I'm not into this type of equip. Just got tired of dealing with rental people and premaddonnas. I've been looking at NH18/21, JD 4200, KB 7500. Has anyone had experience with these TO help level the playing field? Tanx! RICH

/ The more I look..... #2  
Rich,

Based on what you said that you want to do with this tractor, as least in the NH line, I think you need to start looking at bigger tractors. Sounds like a lot to ask out of the TC18/21. I'm not sure about the dump height on the TC18/21, maybe those that do will respond. If you really want to stay smaller, you'll just have to take smaller bites and get more seat time...that's not all bad! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimBinMI

/ The more I look..... #3  
Rich,

According to NH documentation the clearance height with bucket dumped on the 7106 loader (the only NH loader that fits the TC18/21) is 62 inches. The clearance goes up to 83 inches on the 7308 loader which is used on the TC25 and up series.

Stump removal, I believe, would be very tedious with the TC18/21. Stumps of even small sizes can be very difficult to remove. There have been different discussions by others of there experiences removing stumps and they indicate that it takes time and practice to safely remove stumps.

Distributing stone can be done with most any machine, the smaller the bucket, the slower the job (but it still beats a wheel barrel hands down /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif!).

Never ripped asphalt so cannot give you any experience on that.

Grading/Leveling, most any size machine can do it, some will be faster.

If the TC18/21 meets all your needs except one (stump removal) you may want to hire that out to someone with a dozer or other properly sized equipment. You can then get more seat time cleaning up after them /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

DaveV

/ The more I look.....
Thanks for the input Dave and others, The stumps are from amall 6-8 in trees. Still undecided, but I'll spend the time to make a educated decision.
Rich

/ The more I look..... #5  
Rich,

I have to echo what Dave said about removing stumps. I own a TC45D and I am able to regularly push over postoak and black jack oak trees on the 6-8 in variety. After pushing them over I "pop" them out of the ground with ease. For larger trees, I have to undercut them before pushing them over. I cannot imagine trying to do this with a TC18/21. A tractor that size is so good for so many things (even better than my "beast" for some tight jobs) but I think you shoud not consider it for stump removal except in the rarest of occasions.

Just my opinion...

JimI

/ The more I look..... #6  
Stump Removal w/21D:

I bought a new 21D last summer.

I seriously considered attempting stump removal late last summer as I needed to remove two small groves of Hawthorns in my horse pasture (also 6 to 8 inch trees or so).

After making a few "test" runs at it I decided that, though I could get it done eventually, it would take serious time and wouldn't be easy on the tractor. The tractor just doesn't have the weight to make it an easy process.

Instead, I hired a neighorbor with a large (heavy) Ford backhoe. He removed all the trees, moved them to the spot where I wanted them stacked, and rough graded the ground - all in about two, maybe two and a half hours. If I remember right, he charged me $100.00 or about $50.00 and hour.

Best $100.00 I spent as I figure it would have taken me several weekends with a chain saw, axe and the tractor to do what he did in a few hours.

Removing trees can be dirty, physical work, especially if you don't have the right equipment (size). It can also be hard on the equipment itself.

*** REAL horses weigh a ton ***