The new football helmets must be computeruzed

/ The new football helmets must be computeruzed
Twelve bucks in '64 is equal to $115 in today's money. The new helmet is probably 50 times better so you are getting a deal.
Thanks for figuring that out. I wanted to but, didn't know how to look for a calculator. Now that I'm over sticker shock, I've found one.

Last edited:
   / The new football helmets must be computeruzed #12  
The school issued our helmets and got them back after the season.

Having played and coached both football and rugby, I think the helmet causes more dangerous injuries than it prevents. That 'armor' leads players to do dangerous things with their noggin. They would probably be better off with no face mask and a modern version of the old leather helmets...meaning soft cushion of some sort.
We used to be coached that way. I can still hear my coach yell “take the hand off, put your head down and run through the line” lol (use your head as a battering ram)
We actually coach rugby style tackling in football now and have for over 20 years. The head is up and the facemask makes more of the contact, not the crown of the helmet. While keeping concussions down, it also helps our players see what they’re tackling up until contact is made.
If one uses the crown, theres penalties for it in both football (spearing) and lacrosse. Poor and unsafe tackling can never be eliminated, but the “heads up” style of tacking has greatly improved safety.

/ The new football helmets must be computeruzed #13  
I think my helmet was twelve bucks and change back in '64.
I played Pop Warner football back in Junior High around that time. I don't think mine was that much. :LOL: My dad paid the "dues" and the uniforms and equipment were provided.

/ The new football helmets must be computeruzed #14  
When I was a kid, we didn’t have organized football in our small town other than the schools. We played our tackle football without any protection in a farmers alfalfa field. It wasn’t bad when the alfalfa was growing as we mostly trampled it down and it made a nice soft surface to land on. BUT…. When it was just cut it was like playing on sand paper. Never stopped us and I don’t remember anyone ever getting a serious injury.

Guess we were tougher back then :ROFLMAO:

/ The new football helmets must be computeruzed #15  
Just looking at a tuition bill for college. Roughly a third of the bill were for fees supporting the schools sports programs. Not real happy to be supporting other people playing games. Then there is the book cost rip off.....

Later,
Dan

/ The new football helmets must be computeruzed #17  
Been a long, long time since I wore a football helmet. However - just two years ago I purchased a new Shoei motorcycle helmet. $800+ and I didn't even get a kiss.

AND - if you are into SERIOUS cycle racing - $5000 to $8000 is the norm.

/ The new football helmets must be computeruzed #18  
It comes down to how much people value their own brain. How much is it really worth?

/ The new football helmets must be computeruzed #20  
Ha, ha - YES - It can be all about how much folks value their brain. But riding a motorcycle at speed and coming off onto the asphalt - it's like being drug down a carrot grater. First the leather pants go, then your arms, up to your elbows - all that may be left is your head. Inside that expensive helmet.

I rode motorcycles for 55+ years. The fear of going down on asphalt was a driving force in my safe riding practices.