The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price"

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #61  
The dealer that works on big machines, row crop, combines and such wouldn't service a 25hp JD

Absolutely will-at least in my area. Hoobers is a huge Case-IH, JCB & Kubota dealer. They will fix anything from a weed wacker to a 500HP axial flow combine to a 650HP quad track.
We have others that are the same way.

Best bet is to shop for smaller tractors are farm tractor dealer. They can fix anything

Last edited:
   / The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price"
Reguarless it cost me under $200 for hydraulic, engine oil, fuel filter and fluids.

I'm guessing they try to price it high enough to turn away people. They mostly do lawnmowers.
Grandma's riding JD 755's with manual steer, clutch, and shift aside, something I will always respect, what person is handy enough to spend time on a tractor, but not change oil and filter or sharpen a mower blade? That must be an incredibly narrow slice of our population?

I can change the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and air filter on my machine in less time than it takes to clean the loader zerks for their annual two shots of grease. It's not exactly rocket surgery.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #63  
Grandma's riding JD 755's with manual steer, clutch, and shift aside, something I will always respect, what person is handy enough to spend time on a tractor, but not change oil and filter or sharpen a mower blade? That must be an incredibly narrow slice of our population?

I can change the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and air filter on my machine in less time than it takes to clean the loader zerks for their annual two shots of grease. It's not exactly rocket surgery.
Its hydrostatic and power steering. My great grandma was well into her 80s riding it

It's not that she is incapable of doing the work, she has never worked on this specific machine before.

And at 72, she would rather spend time with grand kids and friends instead of turning wrenches. I figured that's why people had kids anyway, make them do the work when you get old

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #64  
Are you talking lawn mowers or tractors? My JD dealer would be more than happy to work on my 24hp tractor but right now he is backlogged over a month whatever the machine size.

JD 755. Yanmar powered tractor with loader/hydraulics.

People on here call them SCUTS but I classify them as a lawnmower

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #66  
Another thing to consider is commonality of the tractor you purchase. The poor guy with the massey has a model that wasn’t all that popular and didn’t run for a long time. The farm I worked at had all older Massey’s from the late 70s - late 80s. They were popular models and still had parts readily available.
Perfect example of a company China made stuff is ruining.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #67  
I think they intentionally have pricing on labor so high that private owners wont go there.

They do a lot of fleet work for landscapers which I'm sure is their bread and butter
One factor that might be forgotten. Each year a higher percentage of owners of tractors 50hp and less don't have the knowledge or capability to change the fluids. This creates an easy money train for shops.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #68  
The dealer that works on big machines, row crop, combines and such wouldn't service a 25hp JD
I'm Blessed, my local JD dealer has a mechanic specifically for 25hp and less tractors.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #69  

Sadly, as I mentioned earlier, a large percentage of tractor owners in this category don't know how or are not capable. Please don't take offense. I don't mean it that way. The OPs Grandma fits in that category.

You are incredibly talented if you can change the fluids in your tractor faster than you can grease the FEL..... :)

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #70  

Wow, it takes me at least 30-45 minutes to change the oil, oil filter and fuel filter. I need to step up my game!