The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner?

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #161  
Good work clothes, from socks and underwear to good carpenters' pants and hi-tech tees. I spent the first 30 or 40 years of my life doing everything from carpentry to masonry in jeans and cotton t-shirts, before realizing how miserable they made me. Getting into sailboat racing had me learning more about hi-tech fabrics, just as hiking, climbing or running might do for others. Combining hi-tech wicking t-shirts and underwear with Dickie's relaxed fit duck carpenters pants has really increased my comfort, endurance, and overall mental health when working long hours outdoors in all types of weather.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #163  
Boxer shorts.
I wore those jockey shorts way too long. :p:LOL::ROFLMAO:
Ditto. But when out working, I prefer wicking boxer briefs, either all poly (if it's real hot) or poly/cotton blend. Sit on your own nuts a few times while working in a ditch our bouncing around on the zero turn, and you'll swear off boxers for that type of work.

Not a problem I had when I was younger. :ROFLMAO:

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #164  
Ditto. But when out working, I prefer wicking boxer briefs, either all poly (if it's real hot) or poly/cotton blend. Sit on your own nuts a few times while working in a ditch our bouncing around on the zero turn, and you'll swear off boxers for that type of work.

Not a problem I had when I was younger. :ROFLMAO:
Are you saying old age has brought some unwanted changes? :ROFLMAO:

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #165  
In my case, width and height of the machine dictate where you can take it. The extra size of a SXS make it next impossible to get into anything other than BIG trails, essentially roads through the trees. My little rancher can weave through the trees and is able to turn around in a small space.
Just like the BX will go place I could not take my much bigger LS.
:unsure:

Looked at the dimensions of my Honda Pioneer 700-4 and the Polaris 800 6x 6 Big Boss:

Wheelbase:
700-4 - 76.8"
Polaris 800: 79.5"

Ground clearance:
700-4 - 10.6"
Polaris 800: 10.5"

Overall Vehicle Size (L X W X H)
700-4 - 114.6 x 60" x 78.1"
Polaris 800: 112 x 48 x 48"

Looks like the 12" smaller width is the deciding factor on maneuvering in tight spots.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #166  
:unsure:

Looked at the dimensions of my Honda Pioneer 700-4 and the Polaris 800 6x 6 Big Boss:

Wheelbase:
700-4 - 76.8"
Polaris 800: 79.5"

Ground clearance:
700-4 - 10.6"
Polaris 800: 10.5"

Overall Vehicle Size (L X W X H)
700-4 - 114.6 x 60" x 78.1"
Polaris 800: 112 x 48 x 48"

Looks like the 12" smaller width is the deciding factor on maneuvering in tight spots.
Height as well, my bx ROPS is too tall to go everywhere. I can lean forward on my quad to clear low branches.
My Rancher is wee bit smaller and pretty good off trail in thick woods.

• Dimensions – The quad offers a sealed, water-tight trunk and front and rear cargo racks. The overall length is 78.12 inches, and the width is 45 inches. Its height is 44.3 inches; ground clearance is 7.2 inches. The vehicle wheelbase is 49.1 inches. The seat height is 32.4 inches. Dry weight is 524 lbs.; GVWR can go up to 1,034 lbs. Not to mention that the turning radius of 10.8 feet makes for smooth handling and great spins.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #167  
Good work clothes, from socks and underwear to good carpenters' pants and hi-tech tees. I spent the first 30 or 40 years of my life doing everything from carpentry to masonry in jeans and cotton t-shirts, before realizing how miserable they made me. Getting into sailboat racing had me learning more about hi-tech fabrics, just as hiking, climbing or running might do for others. Combining hi-tech wicking t-shirts and underwear with Dickie's relaxed fit duck carpenters pants has really increased my comfort, endurance, and overall mental health when working long hours outdoors in all types of weather.
I would love a specific recommendation on t-shirts. Thanks, @WinterDeere !

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #168  
I can't comment on the T-shirts, but for socks I use Darn-Tough. They have the highest % of wool of any sock I've found (great for letting your feet breathe). Also they have lifetime warranty

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #169  
I would love a specific recommendation on t-shirts. Thanks, @WinterDeere !
My favorites are the 100% Polyester "Dri-Star" Training-Fit Peerformance Tees from Starter. I bought a dozen of these several years ago, and although getting pretty ratty by now, they're still my favorite work and sport tees. Just a slight breeze, and you feel the evaporative effect immediately. Honestly, you stay cooler with them on, than with them off. Unfortunately, other than used tees on ebay (ewww), I'm not seeing them anywhere today.

IMG_9990.JPG IMG_9989.JPG

Second favorite is something close to 96% polyester with 4% spandex, like the Fila Sport tees. They're good for more moderate days, or under winter gear, but not as cool on blistering hot days.

IMG_9988.JPG

If I were buying a bunch today, I'd be inclined to try a pair of these Amazon (see below). I'd test one pair before investing in another dozen, but they look awful similar to my beloved old Dri-Stars from Starter:

Oh, one note. They make these in both high-density weave and another that's more fragile mesh weave. I like the higher density, which is fine and durable while rolling around on my back under a vehicle, whereas the lighter mesh weave gets pulls in it. Unfortunateley, the ones from Amazon look like they might be the lighter weight mesh, but I can't tell from the photo. Here's a photo of one I have in the lighter mesh, for comparison to the lighter blue (good style) above.

IMG_9983.JPG

Last edited:
   / The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #170  
An electric golf cart for running around the ranch. We have off road tires and a cargo box on it. Just get in the cart and go. No start up, no gas, and little or no maintenance. Just quick transport for people and tools or whatever. Great for trips to the neighbors or out in the fields.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Eco TXT skinny.JPG
    Eco TXT skinny.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 64