The Onxmaps app, X-hunt, is crap.

/ The Onxmaps app, X-hunt, is crap. #1  

JasperFrank

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1220
A new neighbor was using this as a reference as to boundaries. He got a bit in to my property thinking it was real. I can't blame him, he thought he was with in his rights. But the App was way off. Which I could show him after finding original pins and other survey markers. Then, I looked at what the site was saying, and everything was off... by a lot. So don't use this App, before contacting a land owner. Its not accurate. And I would not trust it in any way.

Last edited:
   / The Onxmaps app, X-hunt, is crap. #2  
A new neighbor was using this as a reference as to boundaries. He got a bit in to my property thinking it was real. I can't blame him, he thought he was with in his rights. But the App was way off. Which I could show him after finding original pins and other survey markers. Then, I looked at what the site was saying, and everything was off... by a lot. So don't use this App, before contacting a land owner. Its not accurate. And I would not trust it in any way.
It actually works well in the rural west where ownership boundaries tend to be along section lines according to general lands surveys and parcels are large. Not so good with smaller parcels and metes and bounds land surveys.

Last edited:
   / The Onxmaps app, X-hunt, is crap.
We found the the end point on a major section line that was my boundary. And the App was 100 feet off that pin into my property as a GPS reading. Just say'en. Don't trust these Apps using smart phones thinking that the app has any legal value. :)

Last edited:
   / The Onxmaps app, X-hunt, is crap. #4  
We found the the end point on a major section line that was my boundary. And the App was 100 feet off that pin into my property as a GPS reading. Just say'en. Don't trust these Apps using smart phones. :)
Yeah 100’ accuracy isn’t going to be always achievable with the GPS system in a smart phone. It’s good enough for the hunting areas I frequent where the lands are a mix of various federal, state and private open range ranch lands.

/ The Onxmaps app, X-hunt, is crap. #5  
Yes - jyoutz, you are correct. My southern property line is a full section line. My northern property line is a quarter section line. The east and west lines had to be surveyed and marked.

/ The Onxmaps app, X-hunt, is crap. #6  
I use that app alot, my uncle also uses it alot. Each of us got within 10' of a known survey pin on the farm, but we have great cell phone service, each of us were connected to actual wi-fi and clear and open skies.
the app is great, it is designed to show property boundaries but is not designed as a survey tool. As a hunter or other outdoor enthusiast it gets you close and a responsible and respectful outdoorsman you should give yourself a buffer on property boundaries anyway.

I use it riding horses in the Shawnee National Forest alot, it works everywhere I have been. When I have hunted in Wyoming the app worked as designed, even a game warden out there told me you breadcrumbs will hold up in court saying you did your best not to trespass and didn't, but like another guy said alot of those lines are old and on section lines. Small properties not on section lines get harder to pinpoint.

Again it is a guide not a surveryors tool and it is a great app.

Last edited:
   / The Onxmaps app, X-hunt, is crap. #7  
There are enough boundary line disputes as it is without adding "my cell phone said the line is here" to the already long list.

/ The Onxmaps app, X-hunt, is crap. #8  
I use that app alot, my uncle also uses it alot. Each of us got within 10' of a known survey pin on the farm, but we have great cell phone service, each of us were connected to actual wi-fi and clear and open skies.
the app is great, it is designed to show property boundaries but is not designed as a survey tool. As a hunter or other outdoor enthusiast it gets you close and a responsible non desiring outdoorsman you should give yourself a buffer on property boundaries anyway.

I use it riding horses in the Shawnee National Forest alot, it works everywhere I have been. When I have hunted in Wyoming the app worked as designed, even a game warden out there told me you breadcrumbs will hold up in court saying you did your best not to trespass and didn't, but like another guy said alot of those lines are old and on section lines. Small properties not on section lines get harder to pinpoint.

Again it is a guide not a surveryors tool and it is a great app.

WiFi location accuracy is very very different from GPS location accuracy for a number of technical reasons, and if you have both, the boundary locations are going to be a lot better. Many app users aren't so lucky.

All the best,

Peter

/ The Onxmaps app, X-hunt, is crap. #9  
The app is great. Your neighbor is an idiot.

/ The Onxmaps app, X-hunt, is crap.
There are enough boundary line disputes as it is without adding "my cell phone said the line is here" to the already long list.
That's what I thought also at first. New tech.... new issues. :) And people are so trusting of these apps that you have to walk them to the pin, have them run the app over the pin, and show them the app is giving an incorrect overlay.