The right tractor.........for mountain biking?!

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?! #11  
As geographically close as you are to the Missouri and Arkansas and the absolutely gorgeous hills and mountains my take is this.
Purchase price of land plus improvements and whatever regulatory hoops you have to jump through to make hills - mind you what you are asking is a major earth moving / engineering project - versus taking maybe a once a month jaunt over to one of the best areas in the country I just don't see it worth doing. Why spend a million in Wichita to make a dirt hill when you are so close to the Ozarks?

http://www.cerc.usgs.gov/pubs/ozarks/DS_FIG1.jpg

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?! #12  
Looking at the topo map around Wichita, some places have the lines close together. Go look at that area. Nature may have made a place for you at a lower price than flat, farmable land.

ACME Mapper 2.1

Bruce

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?! #13  
AchingBack: Not even joking...I've looked in to this as a hired service. It'd be in the ballpark of $20-30,000 for that much earth moving. I'm thinking I might be able to find a used/auction dozer of medium size for $8-12,000 (again, I may be completely wrong in that statement... check this out...the auction ends on thursday this week. 1981 Fiat-Allis 10C dozer | no-reserve auction on Thursday, December 18, 2014 |
Thanks for reporting the estimate you received on the dirt work. I tried getting an estimate from an earth moving outfit, but they were too busy to return calls. I wound up hiring a friend who has a nice JD 6way dozer and back hoe with extenda hoe. The hoe excavated and moved dirt and the dozer did all of the grading.

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?!
Dusty3030....we just moved here from Joplin, MO this summer....I could ride the frisco greenway to the local trails on my bike from my house in 10 minutes and be on single track....and Slaughterpen Hollow and Blowing springs down in Bentonville AR only took 45 minutes....I know....I know :-( But we moved here for family, and that's worth dropping the whole thing....still, I do like having cake. And I like eating cake.....

BCP, thank you for the TOPO map. It's getting pretty difficult to find land around here period, and yes, I would hate destroying land that could turn up food with little effort. I'll have a look around. A dry creek bed that's already 10' deep would be 20 or 30' deep with very little work. If you look at mountain bike trails that are being made today, there is a lot of emphasis on "flow" I've pondered just making a fairly flat trail and a wooden platform to start out on to gain speed at the beginning. Maybe a little bit of natural change in elevation and some creative thinking, and I could get away with a small skid steer instead...

AchingBack: We were looking at 40 acres on the southwest side of Wichita near Goddard/Garden plain (it's probably still for sale with all their crazy covenants), but about half of it was pond, and where we wanted to put a house, it was in a flood plane. so we were looking at coming up high enough to have a walk-out basement and the ground was already about 10' too low. The builder we talked to said he would have two of those giant earth movers come in, scrape off the higher land elsewhere on the property, then dump it at the homesite - said it would take the better part of 2-3 days depending on how well they were picking up dirt, and it would be the $20-30,000 that I mentioned earlier. He did say that if conditions were PERFECT, it might be closer to $15,000....that's still a crapload of money. Sounds like you got a better system and deal working with your friend. Was it a big dozer? Like a D6/7?

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?! #15  
Yeah, a 50' hill only requires a 25' deep hole! hahahaa

Get an excavator.... and a pile O' cash. :)

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?! #16  
I don't want to be the one to shoot down your idea, but I don't think you're thinking this through. You're not going to be able to put a lot of trails on 40 acres. I've got 37 acres, and I have trails going everywhere, and it's about 3 miles total. I mostly walk on them, occasionally bike, and it's maybe a half hour of biking. Think about the math: if you have 40 acres, that's 1.7 million square feet. If on average you have a trail every 100 feet that's 17,000 feet of trails, or 3.2 miles. With that spacing you're not really going to feel like separate trails, you'll be able to see one from the other. A 40 acre square is a quarter mile on a side, so one lap is a mile. That's not a lot of cycling. You're going to get bored.

Just a couple of people cycling is not going to be enough traffic to keep the trails clear. They're going to need to be mowed regularly. Even a few miles of trail is a lot of mowing.

You're going to have to figure out a way to keep ATV's out and snowmobiles in the winter.

Around here, if you were to just dig out a creekbed or a pond the environmental police would literally throw you in jail. They'd also be on you if you built a 50 foot pile of crushed concrete without a solid waste permit. You need to talk with your local officials and see what they'll allow.

If you really want to build a hill, I'd look at skateboard ramps -- a wooden framework with a plywood skin. Just a couple of bikes doesn't need a lot of strength, although you'd have to do some engineering to make it 50 feet high. This might give you some ideas: Mega Ramp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course you'd still have to get a building permit...

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?! #17  
We have 20 acres and a little over 2 miles of trials. You can only see the other trails from each other where they cross, due to the thick woods, except in winter, when no leave lets you see farther. You are correct, though. Walking and running you can do and not get bored, as you can take different turns, run the trails backwards, etc... but I'd think biking them you'd get through them pretty quick.

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?! #18  
i think you would be better off with BMX or 4 wheeler / atv style race tracks. were they have various humps / jumps, mud spots, etc...

trying to build what you want, i would imagine be better off digging out a pond. and putting all the spoils (dirt from digging out pond) directly on the sides of the pond. leaving one area that is low... for overflow of the pond, so you can maintain max water level. and all the rest of the sides of pond. steep and high.

moving amount of dirt you are asking....also means compacting the dirt as you place it. along with getting some sort of erosion control in place quick enough, before water erodes it all away. a company setup, with dozer, excavator, compaction machine, dump trucks, etc... more likely make quick work of stuff. erosion again is big issue, along with correct good compaction of dirt.

your asking for trails through trees / woods / etc... and most likely will not happen immediately. most likely entire area will end up being destroyed. and then having to plant trees, and give them 5 to 10 years to let them grow back up to some given height.

=========
again i would go with a BMX / 4 wheeler / atv style race track like style setup. much less complex, and doesn't compeltely destroy the land for the dirt required. and can be maintained by a smaller size tractor. .

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?! #19  
Do your mountain biking in the not to far from you mountains. Never spoil the land by using it as a landfill for rubble, you would regret that forever.

Get another hobby that involves flatland activities with your family even if it does not involve dirt bike racing over mountains. Flat land dirt biking is popular in a lot of places.

Most folks have hobbies that are related to geographical area that they live in. You wouldn't be a surfer if you lived in Denver or a mountain climber if you lived in Florida, so look for something that you can enjoy in the place that you live.

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?! #20  
AchingBack: We were looking at 40 acres on the southwest side of Wichita near Goddard/Garden plain (it's probably still for sale with all their crazy covenants), but about half of it was pond, and where we wanted to put a house, it was in a flood plane. so we were looking at coming up high enough to have a walk-out basement and the ground was already about 10' too low. The builder we talked to said he would have two of those giant earth movers come in, scrape off the higher land elsewhere on the property, then dump it at the homesite - said it would take the better part of 2-3 days depending on how well they were picking up dirt, and it would be the $20-30,000 that I mentioned earlier. He did say that if conditions were PERFECT, it might be closer to $15,000....that's still a crapload of money. Sounds like you got a better system and deal working with your friend. Was it a big dozer? Like a D6/7?[/QUOTE]
The dozer is a 650. The fellas worked about 35 hrs @ $90 hr., probably moved about 50-60 yards.